I've been running my pool stuff now for a couple of weeks, and I have some questions about some of the tests.
- When doing the CH test, it mentions to add drops until the solution turns blue. Does it actually turn blue, or is turning purple enough? I get a reading of ~200ppm by counting to 'purple', and 300ppm by counting to 'dark blue'
- When doing the TA test, it mentions that you have to wipe the tip of the reagent bottle with a damp cloth between each drop. Why is this, and is it really necessary?
- I have a connected pool/spa (see below). Normally, the pump sucks water from the main pool drain and there is a very tiny 'fountain' that returns in the spa. My question is, do I have enough flow and water exchange to consider these two things as a single body of water, or should I be testing both bodies independently? When I brush my spa, I'll usually force the pump to suck from only the spa and return to the pool (basically draining the spa), and then refill it by changing the return from the pool to the spa jets. This exchanges the water quite well, but I don't do this every day.
- I'll be going away for ~4-5 days in early April. My pool currently consumes around 1Q of acid a day to hold pH in the ~7.5 range. How should I handle my going away for a few days? Can I dump a bunch of acid in before I leave and just let it get go wild for that time? Are there tabs or something else I could use?
- My FC keeps going up. It was at 7.5ppm last time I tested, and I've got my SWG turned down to 25% (down from 50% as set by the pool builder). What % do you guys typically run at? Are there any issues with keeping FC high other than eye/skin irritation?