Rainbow Chlorinator always ON

May 22, 2013
Austin, TX
Hey all,
I'm not sure if this is the right section to post, but was curious if anyone had any thoughts on my Rainbow 320 chlorinator issue. It's adding chlorine even though the valve is completely off. Is this a common issue with valves? Should I just replace that or could something more complicated be going on with the plumbing? I'll add a picture of the unit and plumbing below.

I appreciate the reply. I know TFP is an anti puck forum, and I've tried the BBB method in the past. I didn't find it as easy to manage because I simply don't have time and or forget to check it every single day. I have a 1 year old and a 3 year old so I can't reliably add bleach on a daily basis. So I'm using the standard/traditional puck system right now and it's working well for me in general, I just need to figure out why the off position still allows chlorine (and, yes..CYA) to be added to the pool. It's a mechanical question, not one of my chlorinating philosophy. :p

Those little ones keep us unbelievably busy! I look back at my single life and even married life before kids and wonder how I thought I was 'so busy' all the time? LOL....thanks for the link. I was looking for the manual earlier this morning and should have thought to google for it. It can only be the flow rate valve or the check valve in the bottom of the feeder...and my money is on the check valve. I appreciate you posting that. I'll have to take a closer look at that check valve. Maybe something is stuck in it.

And, for the record, I'll probably go back to BBB in a year or two, probably with a bleach pump (forgot the name of that little pump).

It looks like the check valve is bad. Grabbed another at Leslie's and am guessing I can continue using my evil CYA laced pucks soon. LOL

On the BBB topic, what's that little bleach feeder pump called again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hey Zack, there are a couple way to do this, but from the sounds of it you may like option number 2 better :)

1. Stenner pump Stenner Pump Setup (still uses liquid chlorine just automated)

2. Salt Water Generator SWG, they both will cost the same but the SWG will cost all up front.. Here is just 1 post about the 2 Stenner vs SWG

Remember, knowing is half the battle... We are not against using pucks, we are against not knowing what those pucks are adding to your water and how the pool store takes advantage of people..

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yeah. Stenner pump is what I was thinking of. Thanks TSplash and Casey!

I seriously considered going with a SWG when I built but I have all natural stone on the pool deck as well as the coping. I'm in Austin and the local stone here is fairly soft, so I was worried about the lueder stone coping getting pitted. The pool deck is travertine which is also somewhat soft. There seems to be a lot of conflicting information out there whether or not it's really an issue. Theoretically it shouldn't be a problem. I realize there is no salt in the pool to speak of since its converted to chlorine, but I figured I'd go with a traditional system to play it safe.

I still may consider converting if I can find solid reliable information regarding my stone.

Yeah. Stenner pump is what I was thinking of. Thanks TSplash and Casey!

I seriously considered going with a SWG when I built but I have all natural stone on the pool deck as well as the coping. I'm in Austin and the local stone here is fairly soft, so I was worried about the lueder stone coping getting pitted. The pool deck is travertine which is also somewhat soft. There seems to be a lot of conflicting information out there whether or not it's really an issue. Theoretically it shouldn't be a problem. I realize there is no salt in the pool to speak of since its converted to chlorine, but I figured I'd go with a traditional system to play it safe.

I still may consider converting if I can find solid reliable information regarding my stone.

You are correct on the soft stone, it may (in 10, 20, 30 years) start to show signs of wear or pitting... most people with soft stone seal it once a year or 2 and call it good..

You are not correct on the salt, you probably have a salt level close to or above 1000 ppm, as almost all chlorine comes binded with some kind of salt in the mix. SWG usually need over 3000 ppm so not to far over where you are at now... A SGW does not "use up" the salt, it converts it to chlorine and then goes back to salt :) so you only have to add for splash out or rain... Now where you live there is not a lot of rain to wash the salt water of the decks, rocks, and stone so it is more succeptable to pitting your stone than someone from florida.

Would I do it anyway, YES, in a heartbeat, it is just to easy using a SWG, I put one in the pool first then added one in the hot tub... I travel a lot and a SWG works for me because I know it is working while I am gone..

Hope this helps

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.