Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Rainbow Chlorinator always ON

1. Back To Top    #1

Rainbow Chlorinator always ON

Hey all,
    I'm not sure if this is the right section to post, but was curious if anyone had any thoughts on my Rainbow 320 chlorinator issue. It's adding chlorine even though the valve is completely off. Is this a common issue with valves? Should I just replace that or could something more complicated be going on with the plumbing? I'll add a picture of the unit and plumbing below.
    34x17 Freeform Gunite IGP and spa (approx 17k gal)
    Hayward 2HP/2SP TriStar Filter Pump & Tristar Booster
    ProLogic PS-8 and AquaPod
    400k Heater
    CLI Sunstone Quartz Plaster

2. Back To Top    #2

400k Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Rainbow Chlorinator always ON

That chlorinator isn't just adding chlorine, it's adding CYA, too. Every 8 oz puck you feed it adds another 2 CYA to your pool.

I'd just let the thing go empty and only add pucks if you're leaving town for more than three days and switch to bleach.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

The dials are not always reliable or have a totally off setting. Can't you just remove the tablets? I just leave mine empty.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

I appreciate the reply. I know TFP is an anti puck forum, and I've tried the BBB method in the past. I didn't find it as easy to manage because I simply don't have time and or forget to check it every single day. I have a 1 year old and a 3 year old so I can't reliably add bleach on a daily basis. So I'm using the standard/traditional puck system right now and it's working well for me in general, I just need to figure out why the off position still allows chlorine (and, yes..CYA) to be added to the pool. It's a mechanical question, not one of my chlorinating philosophy.
    400k Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

Toddlers ... check! Gotta keep an eye on the little ones. Well, just in case ... here's the manual: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...17218890,d.eWE.

Maybe we can find something in there.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

7. Back To Top    #7

Those little ones keep us unbelievably busy! I look back at my single life and even married life before kids and wonder how I thought I was 'so busy' all the time? LOL....thanks for the link. I was looking for the manual earlier this morning and should have thought to google for it. It can only be the flow rate valve or the check valve in the bottom of the feeder...and my money is on the check valve. I appreciate you posting that. I'll have to take a closer look at that check valve. Maybe something is stuck in it.

And, for the record, I'll probably go back to BBB in a year or two, probably with a bleach pump (forgot the name of that little pump).

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    Toddlers ... check! Gotta keep an eye on the little ones. Well, just in case ... here's the manual: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...17218890,d.eWE.

Maybe we can find something in there.
    400k Heater

8. Back To Top    #8

It looks like the check valve is bad. Grabbed another at Leslie's and am guessing I can continue using my evil CYA laced pucks soon. LOL

On the BBB topic, what's that little bleach feeder pump called again?

400k Heater

9. Back To Top    #9

Probably a "Stenner" pump. That's for liquid chlorine. Of course there's the SWG (Salt Water Generator) that converts salt to free chlorine.

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

hey Zack, there are a couple way to do this, but from the sounds of it you may like option number 2 better

1. Stenner pump Stenner Pump Setup (still uses liquid chlorine just automated)

2. Salt Water Generator SWG, they both will cost the same but the SWG will cost all up front.. Here is just 1 post about the 2 Stenner vs SWG

Remember, knowing is half the battle... We are not against using pucks, we are against not knowing what those pucks are adding to your water and how the pool store takes advantage of people..
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

11. Back To Top    #11

Yeah. Stenner pump is what I was thinking of. Thanks TSplash and Casey!

I seriously considered going with a SWG when I built but I have all natural stone on the pool deck as well as the coping. I'm in Austin and the local stone here is fairly soft, so I was worried about the lueder stone coping getting pitted. The pool deck is travertine which is also somewhat soft. There seems to be a lot of conflicting information out there whether or not it's really an issue. Theoretically it shouldn't be a problem. I realize there is no salt in the pool to speak of since its converted to chlorine, but I figured I'd go with a traditional system to play it safe.

I still may consider converting if I can find solid reliable information regarding my stone.

400k Heater

12. Back To Top    #12

Or take your water to the pool store and test it for salt to see how much is in there. You might be surprised how much salt is in your pool right now.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by zach5150 View Post
    Yeah. Stenner pump is what I was thinking of. Thanks TSplash and Casey!

I seriously considered going with a SWG when I built but I have all natural stone on the pool deck as well as the coping. I'm in Austin and the local stone here is fairly soft, so I was worried about the lueder stone coping getting pitted. The pool deck is travertine which is also somewhat soft. There seems to be a lot of conflicting information out there whether or not it's really an issue. Theoretically it shouldn't be a problem. I realize there is no salt in the pool to speak of since its converted to chlorine, but I figured I'd go with a traditional system to play it safe.

I still may consider converting if I can find solid reliable information regarding my stone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You are correct on the soft stone, it may (in 10, 20, 30 years) start to show signs of wear or pitting... most people with soft stone seal it once a year or 2 and call it good..

You are not correct on the salt, you probably have a salt level close to or above 1000 ppm, as almost all chlorine comes binded with some kind of salt in the mix. SWG usually need over 3000 ppm so not to far over where you are at now... A SGW does not "use up" the salt, it converts it to chlorine and then goes back to salt so you only have to add for splash out or rain... Now where you live there is not a lot of rain to wash the salt water of the decks, rocks, and stone so it is more succeptable to pitting your stone than someone from florida.

Would I do it anyway, YES, in a heartbeat, it is just to easy using a SWG, I put one in the pool first then added one in the hot tub... I travel a lot and a SWG works for me because I know it is working while I am gone..

Hope this helps
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **