Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intelliflo XF VS pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Intelliflo XF VS pump

Hi All,

A question for the hydrodyamically-inclined: I can get a good deal on this particular pump but it has 3" in and outs and my plumbing is 2". Is there a problem putting 3" to 2" reducers on the suction and return sides? If so, should I put the reducer as close to the pump as possible, or should move the reducer as far away from the pump as possible?

Thanks!

Jay
    Jay--Metro NYC
    35K gal, in-ground, free-form, pebble finish, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, autofill. No spa, no features. Partial shade.
    Pentair C&C cartridge filter (400 sq in), Pentair VS pump, Pentair 140 btu heat pump, Triton Plus Robo-cleaner; Stenner with 55 gal bleach cistern. TFT 100 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Intelliflo XF VS pump

The XF is a great pump. There is no issue reducing the plumbing. The inside slip couplers are 2.5" and the outside is 3" so in your case you will need 2.5" to 2" reducers.
    -Brian-
    33K Pool/Spa, Pentair Equipment
    POOL BUILD
    Davis Custom Construction - Home Page

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks!
    Jay--Metro NYC
    35K gal, in-ground, free-form, pebble finish, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, autofill. No spa, no features. Partial shade.
    Pentair C&C cartridge filter (400 sq in), Pentair VS pump, Pentair 140 btu heat pump, Triton Plus Robo-cleaner; Stenner with 55 gal bleach cistern. TFT 100 test kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

One clarification: should I put the reducers right at the pump interfaces? Or especially for the suction side, is it better to give it a couple of feet of 2.5" leading into the pump and have the 2.5" to 2" reducer (or expander in this case) further away from the pump? I wasn't sure how the flow would respond to having an expansion in its path right before the suction end of the pump.

Thanks again!
    Jay--Metro NYC

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

The difference is miniscule regardless. No issue either way.
    -Brian-
    33K Pool/Spa, Pentair Equipment
    POOL BUILD
    Davis Custom Construction - Home Page