D.E. Filter glue and nut removal

Jul 28, 2015
Belton, TX
First off let me say that because of this site I'm able to confidently attack my pool chemistry and mechanical issues. Thanks for everyone who contributes and makes this site what is it. Now onto the questions:

I think I discovered my D.E. filter leak back into my pool. It seems the piping assembly that connects to the elbow joint for the return to the pool has lost its glue. Can anyone here suggest what type of glue I need to re-glue this pipe to the elbow joint?

Second, I have a leak under the filter; I've bought the washers and O-rings to fix it but I can't get this bulkhead nut off. It is recessed into the filter. Any advice?

I've included pictures to help with diagnosis.

Thank you for your help,

Staggers

I am not sure there is any reason for that pipe to need to be glued. Glued or not, that would not allow water to drain back to your pool unless air was able to enter your filter (which it should not). If you want to attach it, just use a multi-purpose solvent for PVC and ABS (since the black might be ABS).

Maybe a large set of channel lock pliers will let you get the nut off?

A socket to fit that nut will cost a bunch of money. Measure it and start asking handy/mechanic-type friends if they have axle nut sockets. You'll find nuts that big on one-ton truck rear axles and on the front axles of a lot of 4X4s.

That reminds me some auto parts stores (Autozone for example) lend tools all you need is a credit card deposit, not sure if sockets are part of the program but since it is such a large on might be worth a try.

Large channel locks as suggested by jblizzle. Option 2 would be to buy the retaining nut and use a standard screwdriver and hammer it loose then replace if it breaks. Also a chance the pipe is cracked at the threads so it may be a good idea to source one just in case. GL!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.