I took a job for a hotel. I am extremely qualified in all aspects of this job except pool care. I think I am getting the hang of the bromine system, which we have to use, and all the testing. But, I don't know any history on this pool, or how they treated it. The hotel has changed ownership and management, and I don't think it was friendly. Money is hard to come by, and that has been part of the problem.
Anyway... When I started, they were having a problem with staining. It starts on the steps, them moves to the bottom and walls. I thought I was told once that it was copper, but the pool store told me there isn't any copper or iron in my water samples (the pool water and the fill well water). The pool guy said it's magnesium, although he didn't test for it.
We were given "magic dust" by the scoop in an unmarked bag. We have been given 3 different types of sequestering agents as well. The dust removes the stains almost immediately, and I end up with a bright blue sides and bottom. The water gets extremely cloudy, and I failed the Department of Health testing for clarity. I was told my management to shock it, and the water changed colors and the staining came back worse than ever. It looked like a pond.
I started the dust treatment again. Lowered the Bromine level, shut down the pump for 24 hours, added the sequestering agent, then started the pump again and added a pack to the filter basket that is supposed to remove metals and change color. It hasn't changed color, which I was told meant it is magnesium. I let the pump run and run, but he cloudiness wouldn't go away. My levels were OK, except for the bromine. So, I had the health department coming by for another inspection, and the clarity was bad, really bad. I started adding bromine (4 days after starting treatment), and the stains started coming back. Dusted again, for the inspector, but the clarity never has come back. My pump pressure never changed at all, never had to backwash. I just read in another post that I should have put it on recirculate instead of filter though. I added some DE, to try and improve the filtering, and that bumped up the pressure 4#'s. But still haven't reached the 10 psi bump that would necessitate backwashing. I was told by the pool guy that backwashing too often can create more problems with filtering than it helps.
I now have staining starting again. I added Jack's Magenta Stuff, at the advice of the pool store. I am starting to lose faith in the pool store...
My numbers this morning were:
That is all my tests will show me. As I said, money is hard to come by, and they bought a test 4 months ago. I have no idea how they went through all the important reagents, but most are incomplete. I bought a Taylor kit for Bromine out of my own pocket, but wasn't going to spend $100.
The MetalTrap was suggested, but that is pretty expensive for a what if and won't solve my problems with the metal that is already in the pool.
Sorry for the long winded opening thread, just wanted to get all my details. Any input great or small is encouraged and welcome.