Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump Leak

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump Leak

I truly can't believe how many issues are simultaneously going on in my pool. I've now discovered a small leak in the water feature pool pump. STA-RITE Model #MPRA6E - 147L. It's a 1hp unit and about 8 years old. I'll attach a couple pics of the unit, one has the area where the leak is occurring. Is this just an O-ring type of repair typically? Is it easy enough or do I need a professional to come out? Anyone know the parts required, or recommended, to change when I have this open? Thanks!20160322_120659.jpg20160322_120643_HDR.jpg
    16,000 gal Pebble Sheen pool w/ spa, Jandy Aqualink, Hayward Salt system, 60 SF DE Filter, Hayward Gas Heater, Caretaker In-floor pop-up cleaning system.
    2hp Whisperflow for filter, 2hp Dynaglass for booster, 2hp for blower, 1hp Dynaglass for scuppers.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump Leak

Holy smokes! Between bubbles, uncooperative ping pong balls, and pumps, you are off to a challenging start this season. Pump repairs are not my strongest suit, but depending upon the age and expected efficiency of your 1hp pump, they can be rebuilt and new internal seals applied. If you don't get some good feedback soon, we'll bump this post again. Hang in there! Might be time to crack a cold one and just watch the sunset.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

If it's leaking where you circled, very good possibility a gasket is available for it.

Identify the pump then google for a full seal kit...it would be in that.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

4. Back To Top    #4

This might get you close: http://www.poolcenter.com/p/mpea-mpra. Or here: Sta-Rite Dyna-Glas and Dyna-Max Parts - INYOPools.com
    . I'd call to confirm though.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

5. Back To Top    #5

That helps! I'll call Pentair tomorrow to see if I just need that O-ring/seal plate. Pat, I just can't believe that I actually paid someone and apparently my equipment has been so neglected. Very glad that I took the leap of faith to get involved with my own pool. Thanks for your (and the others) help!
    16,000 gal Pebble Sheen pool w/ spa, Jandy Aqualink, Hayward Salt system, 60 SF DE Filter, Hayward Gas Heater, Caretaker In-floor pop-up cleaning system.
    2hp Whisperflow for filter, 2hp Dynaglass for booster, 2hp for blower, 1hp Dynaglass for scuppers.

6. Back To Top    #6

INYO pools has everything needed to repair a pump. Give them a call and they will help you figure out exactly what you need.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks! Ordered the parts. Will report once I attempt to repair and success/failure of that task. Probably next week.

8. Back To Top    #8

ha ha. Gotcha. At least they had the parts. Good luck.

9. Back To Top    #9

LOL! If you fix stuff like I do sometimes you will need one more phone call to order some more parts!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach