Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Skimmer net

1. Back To Top    #1

Skimmer net

I'm not even sure what the thing is called, but I'm in need of advice on a good pool skimmer net (not the kind you lay out over the winter cover, but the kind on the pole one uses daily to clean out debris)! We had one a few years ago that I loved, but can't seem to find another like it. It had a flattened edge on one side or the rim, and quite a large surface area. Anyone have one they really like?
    22,500 gal A.G., vinyl, sta rite crystal sand filter- Pentair Water Pool & Spa , Hayward Super Pump Self Priming 10" lift, BBB method

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Skimmer net

There are two types, a skimmer net which is fairly flat mesh, kind of like a giant fly-swatter. The other type is called a leaf rake which is more like a large, elongated dip net.

I have a Stanley leaf rake and it works OK. I have an old crusty skimmer net but I rarely use that.

tftestkits.net (associated with the site owners here) sells both types but I do not have any experience with those. TFTestkits.net
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

I use this one and like it.
    27,500 gallon in ground gunite/plaster (1995). Attached Spa with fountain, spillway, and 2 lion heads streaming into the pool. Hayward pump and AO Smith UST1152 1.5 hp motor (single speed). Hayward 60 sq ft DE Filter (Model DE-6000). Kreepy Krauly cleaner.

4. Back To Top    #4

So do you guys prefer the one that is more like a 'bag' vs the flatter 'flyswatter' style (which is what I've used in the past)? I'm needing a good one for that day to day stuff that manages to blow into the pool.
    22,500 gal A.G., vinyl, sta rite crystal sand filter- Pentair Water Pool & Spa , Hayward Super Pump Self Priming 10" lift, BBB method

5. Back To Top    #5

I have both, the only time anyone uses the flat one is if someone is helping me. I just bought my house in the fall, so my experience has been trying to remove a lot of leaves in the shortest time possible. The leaf rake is definitely the tool for that. Mine is really cheap and needs to be replaced. I'm looking forward to what other people have to suggest.
    20K gallon 32 ft x 16 ft vinyl liner in ground pool || sta-rite modular media P150 cartridge filter || .75 HP whisperflo dual speed pump
    Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

10,500 gal IG, Topaz Pebble, auto-level
    Hayward DE filter, 2HP Ecostar VSP, ProLogic PS-4, GVA actuators
    Cal Pools Wave Force Plus (wall return jets plus 2 floor pop-ups), Venturi Skimmer
    Water sheer, 2 wok pots, bubbler stem on the baja step
    ColorLogic Mutlicolor LED lamp. Taylor 2006+speed stir

7. Back To Top    #7

I get the cheaper smaller ones at lowes that I can manage and replace after they wear out.
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

8. Back To Top    #8

I bought the fly-swagger style at WalMart to replace the one I have that's starting to tear. I'm hoping it will last a season. I'm able to get 90% of stuff while it's still floating, so a leaf rake isn't a necessity for me. I've also been able to use the brush to stir up the few leaves that do fine their way to the bottom so I can then catch them with the swatter.

28,000 gal IG vinyl, sand filter, 1.5 hp pump, sand filter, SWG (Intellichlor), booster pump for Polaris, Well water fill, Pentair control panel

9. Back To Top    #9

I have this leaf rake with a life-time warranty and love it Amazon.com : ProTuff 19 Garden
    5900 G Fiberglass IG pool (circa 1990), SWG Hayward Aqua Rite GoldLine (2013), IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump (2013), Hayward Pro Sand Filter (circa 1990), Well water (no iron or other metals fortunately), test with Taylor K2006C, Charleston, SC