Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Quartz and other plaster options

1. Back To Top    #1

Quartz and other plaster options

I know that this topic has been discussed ad nauseum - and I've read most of what I can find on TFP as well. But..... Does anyone have personal experience with quartz plaster that wouldn't mind expressing their likes or dislikes? Quartz seems to be a good middle ground for me with respect to cost and durability and the option I will probably go with. I would just like to hear some opinions to help with the decision.

THANKS!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Quartz and other plaster options

I just got plastered with DiamondBrite and it feels nice and soft to the touch. That said, I would have gone with PebbleTec for richer color options if the upgrade wasn't so darned expensive here (+$9500 over DiamondBrite).
    My Pool Build (2015): inground 12K gals gunite/plaster pool, SWG, 2-speed pump, cartridge filter, gas heater, and polaris cleaner (Jandy). TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm leaning towards quartz also - although my plaster guy is pushing for pebbletec. I need to save some money somewhere since I've added on so many extras.
    18 x 38 gunite, 39-7 deep, 8 x 12 tanning ledge with 8 deep water, umbrella sleeve, 2 LED bubblers.
    2 Pentair LED lights, 16 long fiberglass hill slide and jump rock. Sand dune pavers/coping. TF-100. My build: Georgia Pool Build.... No Longer O/B :))

4. Back To Top    #4

Your theory is sound that quartz is a nice middle ground between plaster and pebble. There are lots of people on TFP who have quartz and are happy with it.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

i am going with glass bead on my refurb
    previous owners didn't look after chemistry
    now the plaster has eroded away leaving sharp quartz edges that cuts your feet
    SWG inground peanut shaped eco-bright concrete pool
    50,000 litres 13,000 gallons
    Lincoln Salt Chlorinator, 25 gram cell Sand Filter with glass media
    Taylor K2006-C test kit, Taylor K-1766 salt test, Dolphin M500 pool cleaner
    are you taking care of your pool or is the poolshop taking care of you

6. Back To Top    #6

I did Quartzscapes and love the final product. Wife absolutely did not want pebble. She grew up with a pebble pool and said its ruff on your feet and ruins bathing suits. I felt that I had many color options to choose from. I loved the look of glass but it was really expensive and I had already blew my budget out of the water.
    20K gal 32'x24' 4 bubble free form gunite pool w/ Midnight Blue Quartzscapes
    8' deep/3 1/2' shallow w/ 2 benches, sun shelf, 4' sheer descent, 4 deck jets
    All Pentair Equipment- Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear Plus 420 filter, Easytouch 8 w/Screen Logic Controller, IC40 Intellichlor SWG, Intellichem w/acid container, Intellibrite 5G Color LED pool & spa light, 2 Globrites

7. Back To Top    #7

I was going to do Quartz till I went and saw some Quartz pools. I didn't like the molting of color. It's almost guaranteed to happen so we upgraded to a pebble finish
    Free form pool 90'3" prim, 14180 gallons. TF100 Kit In pool table with travertine top, 3sheer descents, Depth 3.5-5-4, Jandy 2HP pump, Inline Chlorinator, Wetedge Satin Matrix Antigua.

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

We did Pebble Fina (quarts) in steal gray. As mentioned above there is some molting. At first I was concerned/upset because it was so beautiful l for about a day when it was all one flawless color. Then the white streaks showed up they were fairly bad and stayed that way for the first 3 weeks. So much so we had to do a no drain acid wash. All I could think about was all that acid eating my new pool. I kept feeling the surface every day of the acid wash and I don’t think the texture changed if it did I could not tell. We now have a consistently random color if that makes any sense, it has the look of a granite everyone who sees it loves the look. Longevity was our primary driver as mentioned above we did not want pebbles but wanted something that could be expected to last at least 10+ years. I think the only thing I would do different is not waist the money on the acid wash they did before the pool was filled and push for a bicarb startup or at least get them to agree to let me do it without affecting the warrantee. Bottom line yes it will probably molt so look at a couple and see if you like or can live with it before deciding.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

9. Back To Top    #9

I believe that both posters above meant to say mottling of the color which can occur with all darker colored finishes. Including Pebbletec and plaster.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

10. Back To Top    #10

Does mottling occur with lighter blue colors too? One PB said all Quartzscapes mottle. I also didn't know Pebble Fina could mottle since I thought that was just a smaller stone than Pebble Tec.
    My pool thread. IG 31' x 20', 3.5'/4.5'/6', 8' spa, 4T moss rock WF/WW w/jumping rock, 7' x 11' sunshelf 3 bubblers, travertine coping, spray deck, Hayward equip: SwimClear 525 Cartridge Filter, H400 natural gas heater, Tristar Dual Speed EE pump 2HP, Tristar EE pump 1.5HP for water features, blower 2HP, Prologic P/S 8 w/aqua pod remote, Aqua Rite T-15 Salt System, Tigershark QC robot, networked Colorlogic LEDs 2 pool 1 spa.

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

Darker shows more, but my unreached and thus unproven theory is they all do it just harder to see on a light color. I think Pebble Fina is noting more than quartz with a pebble tech markup I would have gone with another brand if it was less expensive and my PB offered it.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

12. Back To Top    #12

I was told that all plaster mottles but it's much more noticeable on dark colors. The pebble aggregate just cover the plaster so you don't actually see the mottling. I'm too OCD and wouldn't be able to handle seeing the mottling so we had to choose a pebble aggregate finish though we're looking at a Wet Edge product.

Last edited by twinkiesmommy2009; 03-23-2016 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Auto corrects fails.
    Started 5/31/16. 38'x23', 618 sqft., <14,000 gallons, 8' spa.Travertine coping. Raised beam w/3 sheers. Large sunshelf w/3 bubblers. SWG IC40, Pentair VSP, 520 cartridge, color LED lights, Easy-touch, screen logic, Maytronics S300i robot, and Wet Edge Prism Matrix finish (Deep Sea Blue with Indigo plaster). Build Thread: Another in Texas - Cypress Texas | MUD District | HOA Approval | Great Escapes Pools

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by twinkiesmommy2009 View Post
    I was told that all plaster mottles but it's much more noticeable on dark colors. The pebbles aggravated just cover the plaster so you don't actually see the mottling. I'm too OCD and wouldn't be able to handle seeing the mottling so we had to choose a a pebble aggravate finish though we're looking at a Wet Edge product.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This is what I heard from PB, too. Diamondbrite "supposedly" can work without mottling through french gray on the color scale -- anything darker, all bets are off.
    My Pool Build (2015): inground 12K gals gunite/plaster pool, SWG, 2-speed pump, cartridge filter, gas heater, and polaris cleaner (Jandy). TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speed Stir

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Emersonsdad View Post
    I did Quartzscapes and love the final product. Wife absolutely did not want pebble. She grew up with a pebble pool and said its ruff on your feet and ruins bathing suits. I felt that I had many color options to choose from. I loved the look of glass but it was really expensive and I had already blew my budget out of the water.
    How do you like Midnight Blue? That's the color we're leaning towards.
    18 x 38 gunite, 39-7 deep, 8 x 12 tanning ledge with 8 deep water, umbrella sleeve, 2 LED bubblers.
    2 Pentair LED lights, 16 long fiberglass hill slide and jump rock. Sand dune pavers/coping. TF-100. My build: Georgia Pool Build.... No Longer O/B :))

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by sheree202 View Post
    How do you like Midnight Blue? That's the color we're leaning towards.
    Love it! We get so many compliments on it.
    All Pentair Equipment- Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear Plus 420 filter, Easytouch 8 w/Screen Logic Controller, IC40 Intellichlor SWG, Intellichem w/acid container, Intellibrite 5G Color LED pool & spa light, 2 Globrites

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by Helen203 View Post
    This is what I heard from PB, too. Diamondbrite "supposedly" can work without mottling through french gray on the color scale -- anything darker, all bets are off.
    this scares me, we are really wanting to go with the darker plaster . We both really like the onyx . And as of right now it is our first choice.

17. Back To Top    #17

I do have a little mottling but you only see it when the water is still. Even then I don't mind it. To me it gives the pool visual texture.

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by Emersonsdad View Post
    I do have a little mottling but you only see it when the water is still. Even then I don't mind it. To me it gives the pool visual texture.
    Hey Emerson's dad, do you have any pics? We are considering Midnight blue, and are concerned re a "swampy" effect if its too dark, we're comparing vs Pebble Fina and trying to justify the cost difference between the two.

Thanx,
    Joel

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by jbailey895 View Post
    Hey Emerson's dad, do you have any pics? We are considering Midnight blue, and are concerned re a "swampy" effect if its too dark, we're comparing vs Pebble Fina and trying to justify the cost difference between the two.

Thanx,
    Joel