Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Are all chlorine tablets the same?

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Are all chlorine tablets the same?

I have tried some from Home depot last year and in my Hayward chlorinator they didn't last..Had decent luck with Leslie's but wondering whats the best kind to use in my off line chlorinator?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Are all chlorine tablets the same?

Ask that around here is sort of like asking what is the best kind of Vodka at an AA meeting, for the most part we feel pucks are fine if used in moderation, such as while on vacation, or in the spring time when you may to adjust your CYA value, but they are far from the best source of regular chlorination as they drive your CYA levels through the roof.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

Exactly. Coupled with Isaac's comments, there are different active ingredients in some pucks (i.e. trichlor, dichlor), each with slightly different side effects on other test levels. Since you're new to TFP, let us first say.... WELCOME , and then refer you over to our Pool School section on the home page (or link in my sig below). Very good water balancing info there.

Also, please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later. This link may also help you: Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post.

Great to have you with us.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Watch out for the ones with copper. Avoid those. Different manufacturers have different quality tabs. Cheaper tabs dissolve too fast and use extra gummy binding agents.

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome to TFP!!!

I agree with the others. Certainly do not use any that have copper or other mystery ingredients in them. I have used a few from Leslie's with good luck (because I needed all the side-effects that you will learn about reading in Pool School) and they are a very high % of trichlor. I have not used any other brands, but can imagine a difference in the binding materials causing differences.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

I have had a pool for a while but with work and kid's I let it get away and spend a lot of time and money fixing it..After battling mustard algea big time last year I did drain and pressure wash my pool which was a wise call..Had what looked like sand on the bottom but I think it was dead algea..I did also order the TF test kit which was recommended, my local chain store is too interested in selling stuff them helping you

8. Back To Top    #8

TF-100 ... outstanding! You won't regret it. I hope you also ordered the "speed stir". If not, next time. Mix like a pro. When you get it, post a full set of numbers and we'll compare notes. Have a nice evening.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

9. Back To Top    #9

To further add to what all of the others have said; I would offer that yes, all of the pucks are indeed the same in that they are all evil. That said, they are sometimes a necessary evil. Study the content of the pucks thoroughly and strive to understand exactly what they will each do to your pool .

While they will all add Chlorine; most will also add CYA. They each will also add something else... that might be something you want; or it could be something completely undesired. Best to understand that in advance so you can plan accordingly.

Also to echo the others; WELCOME!!!

I lurked here for more close to two years before finally creating a profile this week. The knowledge available here is invaluable.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    ... I hope you also ordered the "speed stir"...
    +1 on the speed stir... what a cool, incredibly fun addition to the mad scientist tool kit. It makes "real" measurements a snap. Add a cold beer to the mix and things just don't get much better.
    10.6K gal, IG gunite/plaster, 1 HP "old school" Hayward pump @ 3,450 RPM, 75 sqft "American Commander 75" cartridge filter, chlorine, Zodiac MX6 pool cleaner, TF100 test kit

10. Back To Top    #10

my test kit came in and one of the powders wasn't sealed good adn spilled all in the kit..I emailed the seller and hopefully they will send a replacement fast I did test CYA ( 50 ) and calcium ( 375 )

11. Back To Top    #11

Which kit did you order? tftestkits will make it right if it was from them.

The powder should still be fine if you scoop it up.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by markayash View Post
    my test kit came in and one of the powders wasn't sealed good adn spilled all in the kit..I emailed the seller and hopefully they will send a replacement fast I did test CYA ( 50 ) and calcium ( 375 )
    I have a shout to them now. I am sure they will get with you as soon as they see it. You are welcome to email them also.

They WILL take care of it. If you want to you can scoop up the loose powder if it stayed in the bag/box.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

13. Back To Top    #13

In the Industry

Mark, A jar of powder will be shipped to you immediately! I responded to your email, and I am sorry that the powder spilled. As mentioned, if you need to test and can get a scoopful, that should be fine until you get your new jar in a couple days. Please email me at tftestkits@gmail.com if I can do anything else. My apologies.

14. Back To Top    #14

yes thanks for responding and making it right!! I noticed everything was dusty but just thought it had been sitting on a shelf for a while