Jacks Magic Copper & Scale Stuff Stain Solution #2

May 23, 2013
New Jersey
I bought the Identifier kit from Jacks and clearly the #2 Stain solution is what I need. The stains in my pool I think are from a 10 year old failing heater. I was trying to keep it going for a couple years longer then I should have and assume the copper plumbing in it was disintegrating and caused the staining. A coffee filter bag of #2 stain solution placed in the middle of one of these stains made it disappear in seconds and my 3M blue quartz finish glowed. Really impressive. The other two stain solutions in the identifier kit did nothing.

I understand that I have to isolate the heater from this but my question is if I go ahead and spend like $500 for the stain solution, and it does release the stains from my plaster, where does it go? I have what I consider a construction grade 4 cartridge Hayward filter. I'm assuming the cartridges will get ruined. Or, am I suppose to dump the jacks in the pool then drain it?

I have a 27,000 gal in ground pool, gunite/3M quartz plaster finish. No metal steps or railing at all in the pool. The only think metal would be the 2 lights.

Jacks Magic Copper & Scale Stuff Stain Solution #2

Once the stains are dissolved they will remain in the water as long as you keep up a regular diet of sequestrant. This is the problem with metals in pool water, the stains are removed but the metal remains in solution. You will then have to be very careful with your pH and FC as allowing those to get too high will cause the stains to come back.

How much would it cost to drain and refill your pool? If you chose to do that you would need to treat the stains and then dump the pool. If not, then you will have to carefully manage your chemical levels and slowly replace water over time to get the metals out of the pool through fresh water exchange.

Hopefully you have or will get rid of the heater.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

Re: Jacks Magic Copper & Scale Stuff Stain Solution #2

Yes, I did replace my heater two seasons ago. Stains remain though because I didn't have the $ to buy the Jacks Magic at the time. (the new heater was enough of a hit LOL) I think the pool water cost roughly $350-400 to fill it originally 10 years ago. I'm sure I can call my water company and get a good estimate of the current cost. However, I'm even MORE concerned I'm going to spend the roughly $500 for the Jacks Magic treatment and the stains are just going to come back because I never got the metals out of the pool.

So, I'm thinking open the pool, (I'm in NJ, still chance of below freezing temps), vacuum it, balance the water, treat it with the Jacks Magic and as soon as I see the stains lifting just go ahead and drain it. I have a few cracks in the plaster I'd like to repair anyway. If I'm not concerned with the cost to replace the water, do you think this is a better way to increase my chances of getting rid of the stains? Anything else I should consider doing while its drained?

So can't you just do an ascorbic acid treatment, get all the metal stains to disappear and then dump the water? AA is way cheaper than Jacks Magic stuff.

Well, AA is a way of dissolving metal stains. It works great on iron stains but sometimes can take longer for Cu stains. Normally you use AA to get the deposited metal stains to dissolve back into solution and then you add an additional sequestrant to hold it there because AA is neutralized by chlorine. But AA by itself does dissolve metal stains.

The only caveat is that you need to bypass your heater before using AA because you don't want to damage your heater with the low pH.

Hi there. The amount of Jacks copper stain #2 you need would be 25-27 lbs so more like $250-$300 BUT if you want to find out cheaply if ascorbic acid will work just as well, crush up some vitamin c in a coffee filter or sock just like you did with jack's and test on the stain ;)

If it works as well as Jacks, then do the AA treatment. AA is not always as consistently predictable on copper as it is on iron, hence the need to test. Sometime the copper stain turns blackish, then lifts with AA. If its a "historic" stain it ay also take a little longer.

Thanks. Now that I think about it, I think I also tried Vitamin C and it did nothing, or rather didn't dissolve the stain as fast as Jacks did but I will try it again. I was thinking around $500 because of the sequestering agent, muriatic acid, Filter Fiber stuff, Jacks Magic Blue stuff etc......You know how the chemicals for treatments add up LOL.

Oh, when I replaced the heater I did add a way to bypass it just for this reason.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.