Re: Curious about simple automation of pump

Mar 22, 2016
Orlando/FL

Hi all, I am new here and need your expertise.
I am also trying to automate my pool pump. My automation is based on Wink. My pump is controlled by a mechanical clock which doesn't work, and a light switch that controls the circuit. The pump is 115v, 1.25hp, 14.87Amps. Is there a device that will allow me to set on/off times? I also have an in ground hot tub, but that will be a later project.
Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum!

A mechanical timer is generally used to control on and off time for pumps. It sounds like you have one but broken. Depending on the brand, you may be able replace the internal components.

Intermatic are the most common timers: Intermatic T104 208-277-Volt DPST 24 Hour Mechanical Time Switch - Intermatic Timer - Amazon.com

But it wasn't clear to me if you wanted the timer to be Wink compatible. Something like this may work: 220V / 240V 30 AMP Insteon Load Controller Normally Open Relay (Dual-Band)

Welcome to the forum!

A mechanical timer is generally used to control on and off time for pumps. It sounds like you have one but broken. Depending on the brand, you may be able replace the internal components.

Intermatic are the most common timers: Intermatic T104 208-277-Volt DPST 24 Hour Mechanical Time Switch - Intermatic Timer - Amazon.com

But it wasn't clear to me if you wanted the timer to be Wink compatible. Something like this may work: 220V / 240V 30 AMP Insteon Load Controller Normally Open Relay (Dual-Band)
Thank you. Because of conditions around my pool and home I need to be able to control the pump when away from home. The mechanical time won't allow that.
Does the part you mentioned come in 115v?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

I don't believe the relay described by Mark comes in a 110 version.

You could use something like this:

SwitchLinc On/Off - Insteon Remote Control Switch (Dual-Band), White

3 caviets:

1. Its Insteon so until you hook it up and it works compatibility with your application is difficult to determine.

2. Its really only rated at 15 amps. So how many amps does your pump pull? It needs to be on a 15 amp breaker.

3. Its Insteon. They can be temperamental and subject to heat. So if you run it hot or in a hot location they tend to have a high failure rate.

Disclaimer: I am not an electrician.

The Amps matter - they heat the wires, hence the breakers are in Amps.
The HP is loosely related to the current the motor draws in operation and at startup.
The motor current and the breaker amperage (changeable) are your constraints.

You can call or email Linear & discuss it with them or talk to an electrician. (In my experience, home automation & LED lighting freak out electricians - they can't answer simple questions in this context)

Good Luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.