Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Newb

1. Back To Top    #1

Newb

Hello y'all. My fiance and I just bought our first house. We weren't necessarily looking for a house with a pool, but this one just so happened to have one. Added bonus! At least we think so so far. Neither of us ever had a pool before so I'm coming here to read up and edumucate myself on pool maintenance. All we know so far is that it is approximately 15x30, had a new liner installed in 2012, and was converted to salt in 2012. It has an Intellichlor generator. We have a pool guy coming tomorrow to get us started getting it clean again and give a little "crash course" while he's here on maintenance. We're in Charleston, SC...James Island for those familiar with the area.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Newb

Hi Andy, and welcome to TFP! Maybe it's good you have no previous experience. That means no previous bad habits. Spend some time on our Pool School page and you'll be on the road to success. Also, make sure you have the right test kit (TF-100 or Taylor K-2006). Except NO substitutes. Water balancing starts with the right test kit. Have a great day!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome neighbor! I'll PM you to ask a few pertinent questions.
    5900 G Fiberglass IG pool (circa 1990), SWG Hayward Aqua Rite GoldLine (2013), IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump (2013), Hayward Pro Sand Filter (circa 1990), Well water (no iron or other metals fortunately), test with Taylor K2006C, Charleston, SC

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP and congrats on the new pool!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

"Crash" courses are designed mostly to do exactly just that. CRASH! Spend a little time in Pool School and ask our nearly 100k members any particular questions you might have. One of our recommended test kits will keep you mostly out of trouble if you do your part. Welcome to the fun!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome to TFP!

And I agree, you'll learn more here than the pool guy will ever have time to teach you. Try to get all you can from him on the operation and function of the equipment.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for the welcomes. I've updated my signature with what I know as of now. Back to pool school for a while and to figure out which test kit I want.
    IG 16'x32' approx. 15,000 gal., vinyl liner last replaced in 2012, built in ???, Intellichlor SWG, Sand Dollar sand filter, old rusty looking GE pump, standard TF-100 test kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Here are a couple of pages that will help you right away.

Pool School - Test Kits Compared
    I use the TF100 from TFTestkits.net. It has helped me keep my pool clear for 4 years. Get the XL version if your water is cloudy or green.

Since you have saltwater, here is my favorite saltwater summary page, Pool School - Water Balance for SWGs
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

9. Back To Top    #9

Welcome to TFP! We were all once new at this.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter