Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: PH Numbers

1. Back To Top    #1

PH Numbers

My pool was put in late last year (First week of Sept). My PH was 7.8 and a little higher and I kept adding MA to bring it down. So far this year since I opened last week it was 7.5, but has dropped to 7.2 and staying there. Is this OK?
    Mark
    20'x28' IG, Vinyl, (Sept 2015) 14,900 Gallon, 3'4 to 5'6 deep, SPLAPOOL 1.5 HP, 220v, 2 speed pump, Waterway Carefree 27" 400 LB Sand filter, Digital Nano plus SWG, TF-100 test kit /speed stir. Dolphin Primal x3 robotic cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: PH Numbers

Yes. 7.2 is okay for swimming, and since your pool is vinyl, you don't need to worry about plaster etching.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Any rhyme or reason as of why it may be down to start the year, Richard?
    Mark
    20'x28' IG, Vinyl, (Sept 2015) 14,900 Gallon, 3'4 to 5'6 deep, SPLAPOOL 1.5 HP, 220v, 2 speed pump, Waterway Carefree 27" 400 LB Sand filter, Digital Nano plus SWG, TF-100 test kit /speed stir. Dolphin Primal x3 robotic cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

Give us some test results. Also test the PH of your fill water.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by kywildcats View Post
    Any rhyme or reason as of why it may be down to start the year, Richard?
    Low TA caused by a whole lot of rain or snow dilution? Did you use pucks over the winter? What are the rest of your test results?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

I will post a full set of numbers shortly. I am waiting for my sample water to come up to room temp before checking CYA. Thanks!!
    Mark

7. Back To Top    #7

Here are the numbers for today.

FC: 7
    CC: 0
    PH: 7.2
    CH: 100
    TA: 70
    CYA: 60 (Slowly making it rise to 70)
    Water temp: 60 (Water sample was brought in house for 3 hours before testing)

Yesterday FC was at 6. I turned on SWG to 15% and ran the pump for about 4-6 hours, and it raised it to 7
    Water is crystal clear!!

No Pucks used over the winter
    PH just barely changes color from my well water. Less than 6.8 for sure
    Mark

8. Back To Top    #8

my ph tends to drift down if it isn't at TA of 80 or slightly higher.

I have vinyl and about the same volume pool as you, try adding 2 lbs of baking soda, then test ta & ph.

get the ph up to 7.5/7.6 with mule team borax or soda ash (shouldn't take much, maybe a cup). should hold ph steady then.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by borjis View Post
    my ph tends to drift down if it isn't at TA of 80 or slightly higher.

I have vinyl and about the same volume pool as you, try adding 2 lbs of baking soda, then test ta & ph.

get the ph up to 7.5/7.6 with mule team borax or soda ash (shouldn't take much, maybe a cup). should hold ph steady then.

Use both the baking soda and borax? Can they just be broadcast into the pool water?
    Mark

10. Back To Top    #10

I will post a full set of numbers shortly. I am waiting for my sample water to come up to room temp before checking CYA. Thanks!!
    whaaaa? I should be doing this, too?
    My Pool Build (2015): inground 12K gals gunite/plaster pool, SWG, 2-speed pump, cartridge filter, gas heater, and polaris cleaner (Jandy). TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speed Stir

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Helen203 View Post
    whaaaa? I should be doing this, too?
    This is what I was told to do when checking CYA numbers. I can't tell you about the other numbers, but somebody will chime in shortly I'm sure!
    Mark

12. Back To Top    #12

This is what I was told to do when checking CYA numbers. I can't tell you about the other numbers, but somebody will chime in shortly I'm sure!
    Yes, the CYA test doesn't work well when the water sample is really cold. Let it warm up to 70 or better before testing.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Yes, the CYA test doesn't work well when the water sample is really cold. Let it warm up to 70 or better before testing.
    So the good news is, I only added half of the stabilizer the calculator told me to add, in a sock, in the skimmer.
    My Pool Build (2015): inground 12K gals gunite/plaster pool, SWG, 2-speed pump, cartridge filter, gas heater, and polaris cleaner (Jandy). TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speed Stir

14. Back To Top    #14

Richard, do all other test do ok with colder water temps??
    Mark

15. Back To Top    #15

Richard, do all other test do ok with colder water temps??
    As far as I know.

16. Back To Top    #16

OK thanks! What did you think of my test results from today?
    Mark

17. Back To Top    #17

Use both the baking soda and borax? Can they just be broadcast into the pool water?
    Get a 1 gallon bucket, fill with pool water, get a stir stick, pour ALL the baking soda in while you stir it around.

slowly pour into the pool deep end about 1 foot away from the return jet. (while pump is running)

rinse out bucket

do the borax or soda ash same way.

Keep the pump running for an hour then test. ph & TA
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

18. Back To Top    #18

Here is a handy page from Pool School about chemicals, what they do and how to add them. Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach