Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Skimmer has 2 ports, one plugged Also need manual vac to replace dead Kreepy

1. Back To Top    #1

Skimmer has 2 ports, one plugged Also need manual vac to replace dead Kreepy

I appear to have zero draw into the main drain. When I brush fine dust over it I see nothing going that way. Background: This pool was built in 1977 by Patio Pools with the turbo heads in the floor that never worked well. At some point my family added a Kreepy Kraully with the skimmer attachment. Would someone have capped one of the skimmer ports to increase suction?

Also, I have taped the current Kreepy together for the last few years and it's ready for the trash. I'm happy to put it there as I'm tired of kicking it when I'm trying to swim. What's the best manual device for vacuuming the bottom? I see things that use a garden hose and others that I assume I'd have to use a skimmer attachment for. Yes cost is important so any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    David
    Pool - IG Oval 15500 gallon gunite/plaster built 1977
    Single speed ?HP pump, Triton II TR-60 sand filter
    TF-100 Test Kit just purchased

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Skimmer has 2 ports, one plugged Also need manual vac to replace dead Kreepy

If the hole in the skimmer closest to the pool is plugged then that means that your bottom drain is not plumbed to the skimmer. Which should also mean that there is a valve in front of the pump to switch from drain to skimmer. Even with my skimmers off and all suction from the drain there is still not a lot suction there. Sometimes I have to brush dust over the drain a couple of times to get it to go.

But, who knows how they did things in 1977? I have weird plumbing issues in my 1975 house right now because of how they did it back then.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Re: Skimmer has 2 ports, one plugged Also need manual vac to replace dead Kreepy

My previous pool was a 70's vintage and a previous owner had plugged the main drain and the second opening in the skimmer that goes to the main drain, due to a leak in the pipe between the skimmer and main drain. I didn't figure it out until I removed the drain cover and found that the pipe had been plugged at both ends.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

It very well could be that the main drain line in bottom of skimmer was plugged to increase suction from the skimmer.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!