Sizing pump for pool

Jul 9, 2014
Austin, TX
I have a single speed WhisperFlo 2 hp pump for my pool. We bought our house about 2 years ago, so I don't know it's age. But it could very well be original (13 years) based on the condition. It's started developing a leak and making quite a bit of noise. I'm thinking about replacing but debating what to replace it with.

The two main options I've looked at are
1) Switch a 2 speed pump (hopefully motor only) but would need to adjust the wiring and change out my timer (estimating $100 add-in for those items)
2) Go variable speed with Pentair Superflo 1.5 hp VS (and adding a surge protector for another $30)

I live in TX, so energy is pretty cheap (though not deregulated here, it's still ~12 cents / KWH).
The pool pad is about 50 feet from the pool itself and uses 2 inch piping. I have 4 return lines and 2 skimmers. The rest of the equipment is in my signature.

And here's my question:
1) If going to a 2 speed pump, what's the right size? I feel like my current pump is oversized, given that most equipment has it's own pump.
2) If going to a 2 speed pump, do I need to stick with Whisperflo? I feel like noise shouldn't be an issue. Our overflow waterful usually drowns out most noise (and if not, the constant a/c in the summer does).
3) If going to VS, is that pump an appropriate size?

Any other advice? Thanks!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

You signature is not totally clear, does the pump in question also run the spa jets? (The blower does not count).
If so, are the jets too strong? If so, then you could go to a smaller pump.
If this pump does not supply the jets, then you could certainly go to a smaller pump for just circulation.

Need a little more clarification before getting to recommendations.

Well there's part of my ignorance. I was thinking the blower would power the spa jets. But you're right, technically the same 2 hp Whisperflo would power those jets if I adjusted my 3 way Jandy valve (I leave spa closed unless we're using it). There are 6 jets in the spa coming from that 3 way valve. (in addition to the return line).

Regarding if those jets are too strong... I honestly wouldn't know.

Then you need the same "size" pump to maintain jet strength. A SuperFlo VS would not cut it. You would have to go up to an Intelliflo to get the flow rate and pressure a spa needs.

Also another option, swapping the current motor for a two speed motor would allow you to use high speed for the spa and low speed for the pool at 1/4 the cost.

Assuming you have a full rated 2 HP, you would need a B2984 and it also comes with an optional timer, B2984T.

A.O. Smith Pool Motor Square Flange 2 HP Full Rate Dual Speed w/ Digital Controller - B2984T - INYOPools.com

But check power company rebates because that can make a VS more economical.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.