I have a single speed WhisperFlo 2 hp pump for my pool. We bought our house about 2 years ago, so I don't know it's age. But it could very well be original (13 years) based on the condition. It's started developing a leak and making quite a bit of noise. I'm thinking about replacing but debating what to replace it with.
The two main options I've looked at are
1) Switch a 2 speed pump (hopefully motor only) but would need to adjust the wiring and change out my timer (estimating $100 add-in for those items)
2) Go variable speed with Pentair Superflo 1.5 hp VS (and adding a surge protector for another $30)
I live in TX, so energy is pretty cheap (though not deregulated here, it's still ~12 cents / KWH).
The pool pad is about 50 feet from the pool itself and uses 2 inch piping. I have 4 return lines and 2 skimmers. The rest of the equipment is in my signature.
And here's my question:
1) If going to a 2 speed pump, what's the right size? I feel like my current pump is oversized, given that most equipment has it's own pump.
2) If going to a 2 speed pump, do I need to stick with Whisperflo? I feel like noise shouldn't be an issue. Our overflow waterful usually drowns out most noise (and if not, the constant a/c in the summer does).
3) If going to VS, is that pump an appropriate size?
Any other advice? Thanks!