Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replacing 3/4hp pump with 1.5ph pump: To much pump?? Will I Have issues?

1. Back To Top    #1

Replacing 3/4hp pump with 1.5ph pump: To much pump?? Will I Have issues?

My Hayward Super Pump HP died when closing the pool so I need a new one before opening it in the next few months. I got a very good deal ($25) for a two year old 1.5 HP pump. The 1.5hp pump is probably close to overkill for a pool of my size, but will I do any damage using the bigger HP pump?
    Pool info: inground, 16x32, about 22k gallons. One skimmer and pump will be maybe five feet away from pool/skimmer.
    16x32 in ground pool. About 22k gallons

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Replacing 3/4hp pump with 1.5ph pump: To much pump?? Will I Have issues?

The bigger the pump, more $$$ you spend on electricity.

That said, the HP only tells a portion of the story as the pump design also influences the amount of water it will move.

What type and size of filter do you have?
    What is the specific brand and model of the pump?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Currently have a very old sand filter (SP Filter SP-50). Filter area 2.7sq ft (52 gmp flow rate and 50 max psi). I'm thinking of changing it out with a Sand Master SM2106T Filter area 2.2 sq ft (44 gpm flow rate and 50 max psi) I know it's smaller but I'm not to sure my current sp-50 is working that well.

The new (to me) pump is the Hayward sp2610x15. But the motor was replaced two years ago with a UST1152.

All going through 1.5 piping

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Don't know the specs on your pump yet but it looks like the pump is too big for the filter. Your filter doesn't want more flow than 52 gpm and that pump is likely capable of much more than that so it is forcing water too fast through the filter.

What is the psi?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

every pool builder in my area seems to think you need a 2 hp pump for a pool over 20k gallons for some reason. they all think i'm "crazy" for going with a 1/2 hp whisperflo.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    Don't know the specs on your pump yet but it looks like the pump is too big for the filter. Your filter doesn't want more flow than 52 gpm and that pump is likely capable of much more than that so it is forcing water too fast through the filter.

What is the psi?
    I don't know what the psi of the pump is. I looked all over online and can't find that figure. I can't find that for any pump actually.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

the psi is the working pressure that shows on your gauge when the pump is running
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Hi,
    I had a 1.5hp pump on the same size filter.
    It will work. It does blow through the filter. And and your electric bill will go way up. If your swim season is very long at all you will probably save money buying a 3/4hp.
    Oh suction side will probably need hard plumbed or really good hose.

So probably no damage to the pool, damage to your wallet is assured.

27' AG, sand filter, Pentair 340203 Two-Speed 3/4-Horsepower, hard plumbed

9. Back To Top    #9

The new pump motor will fit on your old pump's wet end and even though the motor is larger, it will still draw about the same power and have exactly the same flow rate as your old pump because it is the impeller and not the motor that determines the "size" of a pump. You will need to replace the impeller on the working motor with your old impeller.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater