Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Motor for my Pentair Challenger 2 HP pump

1. Back To Top    #1
    Houston, TX

Question New Motor for my Pentair Challenger 2 HP pump

Our pump is getting louder and louder, and a tech told us that the bearings are shot.

I am having the hardest time finding a replacement motor, as the part number doesn't match, as well as someone who wants to replace it here in NW Houston, TX.

I've attached some photos of the pump.

Could a kind being please tell me the part (motor) I need to buy, and if you can recommend a good place to buy it?

Thanks in advance,

Attached Images Attached Images
    Specs: IG plaster (≈35K Gallons) SWG (Pentair IntelliChlor)
    Pentair FNS Plus 60 DE filter, Pentair 2HP Main Pump + Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump
    Please forgive me if above question is stupid, but my (current) knowledge about chemistry is about the same as my ability to fly!

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: New Motor for my Pentair Challenger 2 HP pump

You just need to find a 56Y framed motor with the same HP and Service Factor: 2 * 1.1 = 2.2 SFHP

I would highly recommend going with a 2-speed variant and adding a manual switch to select the speed. You should be able to run on low nearly all the time and save money on electricity.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh one other thing: Is your pump wired for 115V or 230V? All 2-speed motors in that size are 230V, so that could be a limiting factor.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Houston, TX

I have the same pump and bought a replacement motor from Amazon last April - Century Electric B855 2hp 56Y frame, square flange, $280 delivered to my door. Pool guy wanted about $500 to replace the motor.

It's a single speed motor. I didn't have time to shop around then, so maybe you can get a better deal elsewhere.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Houston, Texas

Caliking is correct. You have a 2hp uprated pump and need the B855 motor along with a Challenger seal kit if replacing yourself. GL!

5. Back To Top    #5
    Pleasanton, CA

If you want a two speed, which I would highly suggest, you want the B2983 which is a high efficiency two speed motor.
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner