Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bonding Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Bonding Question

Never had an issue before and now start to feel a little tingling on my hand when my Polaris Booster Pump is on and my hand is on the pavers around the pool. Nothing has changed except that I moved some pool furniture around. Does aluminum pool furniture need to be bonded somehow? Also, where should the copper wire end? Should it be a continuous loop around pool? My wire ends connected to an old gas pipe where a heater used to be. Is that normal? Thanks, Tom
    22,200 gal, IG Vinyl 3.5' - 8.5', Haywood s240 Sand Filter, Polaris 180
    manually chlorinate, 2 skimmers - 1 main drain - 3 returns plus waterfall feature
    TF-100 test kit, pool in sun ~10am - 5pm

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bonding Question

It should be a continuous loop with pigtails to each piece of equipment. Furniture usually isn't bonded, but all the other metal parts and all electrical equipment should be.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

How old is your pool?

The wire should run completely around the pool and be connected with clamps to the pool rebar. Some of this may be imbeded in the pool structure and you can't see it. There should be a metal grid around your pool under the pavers 3 feet out from the pool. If you are further than 3 feet your bonding may be correct but you still have a current leak.

So You have a current leak most likely the booster pump. Some connection may be compromised and you don't know it.

With bonding its usually best to call an electrician and see if they can figure out what is wrong.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

4. Back To Top    #4

Pool is about 15 years old. Why do you think they would bond everything and not run the wire in a loop back to the pump? When I shut off the booster pump there is no tingling sensation at all. However, the booster pump is bonded.
    22,200 gal, IG Vinyl 3.5' - 8.5', Haywood s240 Sand Filter, Polaris 180
    manually chlorinate, 2 skimmers - 1 main drain - 3 returns plus waterfall feature
    TF-100 test kit, pool in sun ~10am - 5pm

5. Back To Top    #5

I suspect you have a problem with your booster pump or its wiring, and I would stop using it immediately until you can find a problem or an electrician can figure it out

Your bonding system isn't complete. Bonding connects everything that is conductive together electrically so everything is at the same voltage.

With a complete bonding system, if something like a loose wire or some kind of failure like a toaster falling in the pool were to happen, you wouldn't get shocked.

Since you are being shocked, it's pretty clear your pavers aren't bonded. Brings up a problem with pavers in that they are difficult to bond. About the only way you can do it is with a copper mesh under the pavers.

Your bonding system should be hiding the problem that seems to be coming from your booster pump.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

6. Back To Top    #6

I suspect that your booster pump is somehow leaking current and needs to be shutdown. It may be bonded but the pavers are not.

I agree with John above.

At the time your pool was built many jurisdictions did not require bonding under pavers
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall