Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Getting New Liner and thinking of the switching from Bromine to Chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

Getting New Liner and thinking of the switching from Bromine to Chlorine

Background: We moved into this house about 2 years ago and realized the pool was a Bromine pool which I had little to no experience. Since then I've study the pros and cons of Chlorine vs Bromine and I pretty much on the fence of which it better. But Last year we cut down a large tree and the pool is now getting a lot more direct sun light during the day (Bromine better for high temps but can't be stabilized in the sun). We probably used 50% more BRO last year after the tree was cut down compared to the previous year. This year we are installing a new liner so I'm thinking now is the time to convert to a Chlorine pool. Beside the lower cost of Chlorine the more direct sunlight leads me to think chlorine is the right way to go... Thoughts? I will add that my experience, minus the cost of the Bromine, has been good. One question is can I used my "Brominator" or will I need to get a different chemical feeder?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Getting New Liner and thinking of the switching from Bromine to Chlorine

HI! You have come to the right place to learn about how to care for your pool the correct way with LIQUID chlorine.

You will not be using the chemical feeder at all except maybe vacations and such. We use liquid chlorine/bleach for the most part. Here is a link to the hows and whys of TFP

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

You will notice the bases of TFP is having your own test kit. This will save you so MUCH money and trouble you will wonder how you took care of your pool before without it. Look in my siggy below for the one we use and love.

I would love to see a picture of your pool and area.

Ask any and all questions you might have. We LOVE to help!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Or you could install a Salt Water Chlorinator (SWG) which makes things easy peasy

Welcome!
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

4. Back To Top    #4

True that Yeppee!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Probably not in the budget to put another $800-$1000 into the pool for a Salt Water Chlorinator this year... Maybe next year... So can I switch to salt regardless of Bromine or Chlorine, may help me make my decision. I think going to switch to Chlorine and I'll probably continue to use the tablets does any know if I can continues to use the brominator or should I purchase a new chlorinator?

6. Back To Top    #6

Hi! Welcome. I switched from bromine to chlorine after a new liner. I LOVE it! It is so much easier to maintain and cheaper too, but I do NOT use my chlorinator/brominator. if I went on long vacations, I would, but that is another story.

My feeder is labelled that it can do either type of puck, and I bet yours does too. I don't know of any bromine-only feeders.

If you are thinking of getting a SWCG, go with chlorine for sure now. The bromine would just complicate your chemistry.