Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Calcium Hardness in Chandler AZ

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Calcium Hardness in Chandler AZ

First time poster. I started reading TFP before we had our pool built last year. I have been religious so far with following the TFP method. My main concern is the pools CH. I have a few questions.

here are my readings today:

Pool built Oct 2015
    17,500 gal
    Chlorine
    Pebble tec

Pool temp 77F
    PH 7.7
    TA 100
    CYA 50
    FC 4.0
    CC 0.0
    TC 4.0
    Aaand CH 550

The city water we used to fill the pool has CH of 350

My pool builder said levels up to 800 are normal here. But it seems like that much calcium would wreak havoc on my pumps and equipment. what are your thoughts on this?

It seems a bit futile to drain and fill with that water at CH of 350.

Would you recommend RO. If so what companies do a good job out her?

We will be going through our first AZ summer soon..gulp..
    how fast does the Ch on average raise due to evaporation here in AZ.

Thanks
    Justin

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Calcium Hardness in Chandler AZ

I can only tell you where I'm at in buckeye. We had a softener installed for the house while the pool was built. the backyard bib where the leveller is hooked is post-softener.

The original fill was all unsoftened, but the since then it's just been getting softened water, which still adds some CH but not as much. So we started at around 400 i think, and from 3/14 to now, I'm at 800.

If you aren't going the permanent softener route: pool math has your current settings at a CSI of 0.4. So you are still OK, but just ok. If you've been using liquid chlorine a la TFP, you probably have some salt in the water, and it might be worth it to get some test strips. After only one winter of bleach it's not a lot, but it will start to accumulate and it will affect that CSI number (in a good way for us) so think about adding that.

If you'd like to have your likelihood of scaling lessened, I would keep dropping your pH to 7.2 until your TA comes down. Around 60 is probably good. I'm at 50, but that was where my pool pH ended up stable. The lower TA will help your CSI. Keeping a lower pH will also help even more, but that flucuates more than TA so I think it makes sense to get a lower TA to start with.

Your current readings, but with TA of 60 and pH of 7.6, gets your CSI to 0.02. Great! But be aware that as the water temp rises, you are more likely to get scaling and you'll probably want the pH a tick lower.
    10,500 gal IG, Topaz Pebble, auto-level
    Hayward DE filter, 2HP Ecostar VSP, ProLogic PS-4, GVA actuators
    Cal Pools Wave Force Plus (wall return jets plus 2 floor pop-ups), Venturi Skimmer
    Water sheer, 2 wok pots, bubbler stem on the baja step
    ColorLogic Mutlicolor LED lamp. Taylor 2006+speed stir

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi Justin, and welcome to TFP. BC gave you some very good info on how by managing CSI, you can counter-balance a relatively high CH level. We have many, many people here at TFP from your area with CH levels much higher at this point and are doing very well. No need to drain, just use some proactive CSI (pH and TA) management and you'll be fine. The Poomath Calculator is your friend. Great to have you with us.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Good advice so far. Yes, we have plenty of people here at TFP with CH over 1000 and up to 1200. Keep your CSI score on the negative side, -0.1 to -0.2. More here, Pool School - Calcium Scaling
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

From personal experience, anything below 800 CH is easy to maintain. The real problems come when you get towards 1000.

Plug all your numbers into the now column of poolmath. See what the CSI is. Raise the water temperature to what it will be later in the Summer. See what the CSI is then. In the target column, put CH at 800. See what happens to CSI then. Then start experimenting with pH and TA in the target column and see what they do to CSI. As long as you keep CSI below roughly .3, you won't have any scale worries. You'll have enough wiggle room that a slight pH rise won't wreck everything. As long as you can keep it greater than -0.3 you'll also not have to worry about plaster erosion and etching. Just remember that you can only lower pH so far and still swim comfortably.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Yep, our water here is as hard as....a rock LOL

Don't worry - I'm up the street in Tempe and fighting the same battle.
    28K Gallon old-skool plaster hole in the back yard in desperate need of an acid wash and a fixed skimmer diverter (yes, it's still broken)
    Hayward SuperPumpVS pushing some giant hayward cartridge filter setup
    SharcVacXL and Zodiac G2 to keep things clean

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for the great info everyone! I will start working on lowering my PH and TA to get my CSI into a more acceptable range. Especially for the warm temperatures in summer. Excellent information!!

8. Back To Top    #8

Don't be afraid to throw a couple bags of salt in either to help make the water feel softer. Made a huge difference in my pond, now if I can get my chlorine numbers within reason LOL.
    28K Gallon old-skool plaster hole in the back yard in desperate need of an acid wash and a fixed skimmer diverter (yes, it's still broken)
    Hayward SuperPumpVS pushing some giant hayward cartridge filter setup
    SharcVacXL and Zodiac G2 to keep things clean

9. Back To Top    #9

speaking of...my TA was up at 80 and my pH at least 8 when I got around to testing last night. CSI was 0.4 . whoops! In goes the acid!
    10,500 gal IG, Topaz Pebble, auto-level
    Hayward DE filter, 2HP Ecostar VSP, ProLogic PS-4, GVA actuators
    Cal Pools Wave Force Plus (wall return jets plus 2 floor pop-ups), Venturi Skimmer
    Water sheer, 2 wok pots, bubbler stem on the baja step
    ColorLogic Mutlicolor LED lamp. Taylor 2006+speed stir

10. Back To Top    #10

I'm managing near 1000 CH now. You must manage pH, and TA aggressively with the CH that high.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem