Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Failed Intermatic DIY Mod Solution, How?

1. Back To Top    #1

Failed Intermatic DIY Mod Solution, How?

My intermatic's auto function timer went out about 3 years ago during a freeze. There's an on/off switch in the line to the timer I have been using to operate the pool. To replace the daily walks I want to spend as little as possible to install a mod if I can away with that instead of replacing the failed unit. My idea is to install a wi-fi smart plug between the on/off switch and the timer such as this or this one. I am handy but I need guidance on making sure power ratings/amps/wattage etc of these devices matches.

Which wifi plug will handle my pump's power requirements or what should I look for?

PLUG-1
    Working voltage:AC110~240V
    Max power:2000W(resistance loading)
    Working current:MAX 10A
    Color:Pearl White
    Material:ABS flame retarding polymer
    Standard:5 holes standard,China
    Wireless frequency:2.412~2.484GHz
    Wireless IEEE standards:WiFi 2.4GHz b/g/n
    Security type:WEP/TKIP/AES
    Security regime:WEP/WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK
    Wireless consuming:≤0.3W
    Temp:-20~40℃ Humidity:≤80%

PLUG-2
    Input voltage: AC 90-265V 50/60HZ
    Max Power rating: 2200W
    Maximum current:10A
    WiFi amplify: 15DBM
    WiFi standard: 802.11B/G/N

PLUG-3
    Operating Voltage: AC power input AC110V ~ 240V
    Output Power: Maximum output power 3500W
    Output current protection action: ≥ 16A
    Plug mating cycles: > 5000

Here is my main pump and the rarely used polaris pump

20160321_112632_164.jpg
    Polaris pump
    20160321_112842_344.jpg

Here is the setup
    20160321_112819_837.jpg

The second solution I have in mind is to add one of those timers from Lowes, but same idea, just add a plug between the on/off switch and the intermatic. I just don't know the right one, see here.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Failed Intermatic DIY Mod Solution, How?

Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

As Mark said, you can buy just the internals of the timer. Even further than that, if you know which part is bad (i.e. timer motor) you can buy parts for it.

The problem with those switches listed is that they're usually not rated for motor (inductive) loads.

You also don't tell us whether the pump is wired for 120 volts or 240 volts. If it's 240 volts the idea of installing a plug won't work.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I agree with the others, just fix the Intermatic ... they are darn near bulletproof, a little odd that a freeze would have affected it.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by mas985 View Post
    The unit is an intermatic PF1102T model, from the info it looks like a 240V. Here is the pic (won't post here exceeded my limit error)

I think it takes a different type of an internal mechanism, correct?
    Or can it take the one you posted?

Also can a PF1102MT model's (here below pic) mechanism replace the one I have now-PF1102T?
    INTMATE00190_80_PE_003_PF1103MT.jpg

6. Back To Top    #6

I was going by the timer on the left in the picture. You can get the PF1102 internals as well but it is a lot more because of the freeze protection.

Intermatic PF1102MT Pool Spa Timer with Freeze Control and Time Clock Mechanism | eBay
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

If it's the basic intermatic timer (the one on the left), most failures are just the clock motor. A new one can be had for less than $20.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by chiefwej View Post
    If it's the basic intermatic timer (the one on the left), most failures are just the clock motor. A new one can be had for less than $20.
    Is this what you were referring to? -> here
    If so how would I know the correct one for my timer?

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Get the model number of the timer, then Google is your friend.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

10. Back To Top    #10

I was going by the timer on the left in the picture. You can get the PF1102 internals as well but it is a lot more because of the freeze protection.

Intermatic PF1102MT Pool Spa Timer with Freeze Control and Time Clock Mechanism | eBay
    I thought you needed to replace the timer on right which is electronic. So I think you will need to replace the whole thing.
    Mark

11. Back To Top    #11

I thought you needed to replace the timer on right which is electronic. So I think you will need to replace the whole thing.
    Oops that is correct. Senior moment. The one on the left is for the polaris, works great. The electronic one on the right is the troubled one.

I appreciate the input guys. I hope I don't come off as one who won't follow the advice already given. I am on a tight budget. I guess what I am wondering is is there a way at all, to put this pool pump back on a functional safe timer for a budget of <50 bucks, be it a substitute...a mod...? Such as this woods timer. Can this work...i.e. match the power requirements of my pump (pump pic is at the beginning of this post) See here -> Woods Timer http://s31.postimg.org/sm1w0f197/IMG08.jpg

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

If you just want to replace the timer with a basic intermatic 220v timer, they can be had for about $50.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ

13. Back To Top    #13

It just won't have freeze protection like your old timer.
    Mark