Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: EZ way to remove skimmer basket

1. Back To Top    #1

EZ way to remove skimmer basket

Hello, all. I am an oldster and have a bad back which made removing the basket from my skimmer very hard for me. I came up with a handle idea that I thought I would share and possibly help someone else in my situation.

I ordered a 1/8” diameter 3’ long stainless steel rod type 316/316L and cut it down to 28”. I used a pneumatic cutoff tool to do this, but a hacksaw would also work. I then on each end put a small amount in a vice and used a hammer to make a 90 degree bend. I was then able to grab each end and make a long sweeping bend in the whole rod, with each of the small bends facing out.

I used a 3/16” drill bit to enlarge a couple of the slots in the basket for the small bends to fit into and marked the holes with a sharpie indelible marker so that I could easily see the holes when I went to install the handle into the basket. I use a hairnet in the skimmer basket, but the rod pokes right through it when installing it.

So now I only have to bend down just a little to remove the skimmer basket lid and pull the basket out or put it in in.

Here is a link for the stainless rod from Mcmaster:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/122/3777/=11mxlj4 J

Hope this might make life a little easier for someone!
    38000 Gal, IG, Plaster, 20' x 40' x 10', Attached Raised Spa, Intelliflo VS 3 HP (011018), Pentair Quad DE 60 Filter, Raypak (Rheem) 400,000 BTU (407a low Nox), Easy Touch 8 upgrade, Screenlogic 2 with wireless, IS-4 Spa Side Remote, Stenner 45MPHP10 w/15 gal tank, Intellibrite 5g (3), Dolphin Triton Plus robot with PRO remote, Water Tech Catfish handheld vacuum for spa, TF100 with SpeedStir.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: EZ way to remove skimmer basket

THAT is PERFECT!! I need this bad.... I lifted the lid the other day and there was a thin snake in there. Ugh. (needless to say I put the lid back on and walked away Skippy could deal with it later , lol)

Every handle I have seen so far interfered with using a skimmer sock so your idea fixes that glitch.

Thanks!
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

NICE fix and write up with pictures! THANKS!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Nice
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

Now make one for adding the gallon of chlorox and all us oldsters will have a party And I might buy one.
    30,000 gal free-form IG w/ spa, PebbleSheen Blue Surf, Pentair cartridge filter, Pentair 3 HP Intelliflo, extra pump that is way over-sized for weeping moss rocks, Dolphin Oasis Z5, municipal water, all built Jan-Feb 2016. TF-100, SpeedStir, Liquidator 3/8", borates. My build thread http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...-in-Cypress-TX

6. Back To Top    #6

No worries Gary, you have given me an idea for a new and useful thread. Or so I think.
    30,000 gal free-form IG w/ spa, PebbleSheen Blue Surf, Pentair cartridge filter, Pentair 3 HP Intelliflo, extra pump that is way over-sized for weeping moss rocks, Dolphin Oasis Z5, municipal water, all built Jan-Feb 2016. TF-100, SpeedStir, Liquidator 3/8", borates. My build thread http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...-in-Cypress-TX

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by MarkTX View Post
    Now make one for adding the gallon of chlorox and all us oldsters will have a party And I might buy one.
    That one would be a little tougher. I have a Stenner pump for Chlorine (bleach) and the tank is raised a bit and is easy to fill. May be you could find a plastic funnel that you could glue into a length of PVC pipe. Then standing upright you could place the end of the pipe near the water, hold the funnel with one hand and pour the bleach into the funnel with your other hand. I would suggest wearing saftey glasses when doing this so that if the bleach splashes you won't get it in your eye. Old age isn't what it's cracked up to be.
    38000 Gal, IG, Plaster, 20' x 40' x 10', Attached Raised Spa, Intelliflo VS 3 HP (011018), Pentair Quad DE 60 Filter, Raypak (Rheem) 400,000 BTU (407a low Nox), Easy Touch 8 upgrade, Screenlogic 2 with wireless, IS-4 Spa Side Remote, Stenner 45MPHP10 w/15 gal tank, Intellibrite 5g (3), Dolphin Triton Plus robot with PRO remote, Water Tech Catfish handheld vacuum for spa, TF100 with SpeedStir.