2 stupid questions about adding CYA

May 6, 2015
Chattanooga
so my first week with my test kit has been interesting.....

FC 7.5
CC .5
PH 7.7
TA 150
CH 50
CYA 40

pool store had tested my CYA a week ago and found 60, but i tested 3 times and twice it was exactly 40, and water temp was in the high 60's. so i'm assuming pool store was wrong, which seems to be typical around here.

so, i started with adding 34 oz of 96% pure CYA stabilizer granules yesterday. if my math is right, that should put me around CYA 55. it would also prove my pool volume is accurate. so my 2 stupid questions:

- when they say wait a week to test again, can i go ahead and test again if the sock is empty? (i dumped it in a sock in the skimmer)
- and by sock i literally mean athletic sock, so let me know if that was wrong :)

thanks, as always!

It takes up to a week, so it could in theory show up any day this week, but IMHO you'll just be wasting test chems. I was just assume it was there until next Sunday and test then.

Yep, an athletic sock!

You can test again but with the granules it usually takes about a week to show up on the CYA test. You did it correctly by using an athletic sock but next time instead of putting it in the skimmer, hang the sock in front of a return with a weight of some kind on the pool deck to hold the sock in place. Then squeeze the sock every few minutes or so until all of the CYA is gone.

I'm just going to cover your stabilizer question for now.

I'll say first to test on your own, and trust your results. Your sock is fine. So, after the stuff in the sock is completely gone assume that it's there, but give a few days before you test again. Wait until a week is passed and you've retested before deciding you need to add more. This is being over cautious, but it won't hurt, and you'll be dead certain for sure. The one week window is something we are talking about behind the scenes right now, but follow that for now, and you'll have no problems.

I'm just going to cover your stabilizer question for now.

I'll say first to test on your own, and trust your results. Your sock is fine. So, after the stuff in the sock is completely gone assume that it's there, but give a few days before you test again. Wait until a week is passed and you've retested before deciding you need to add more. This is being over cautious, but it won't hurt, and you'll be dead certain for sure. The one week window is something we are talking about behind the scenes right now, but follow that for now, and you'll have no problems.

Just as a data point since y'all are discussing it behind the scenes, my personal experience has been it only takes 24-48 hours, with the pump running continuously, for CYA to show up on the test. After that my CYA test results show no additional rise. I don't know if it's the brand of granuals I use or the fact that I run the pump continuously when adding CYA that contributes to my experience.

Still, like was mentioned, there's no harm in waiting a week, and waiting assures an accurate result. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.