Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Pump and Motor Advice

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Pump and Motor Advice

I'm trying to decide which pool pump to purchase and if a 2 speed would work with my set-up. I was looking at the Pentair Whisperflow with a 1/2 hp motor but can't figure out the two speed option. Low speed seems like it wouldn't help most in-ground pools. Thinking about 2 turnovers a day and running the pump for 20hrs/day.

Pool set-up
    In-ground lazy L pool - 29,025 gals
    Head in ft - 49
    Sand filter - Sand - SD-60, Max flow rate - 60, filter area - 2.3
    Chlorine generator - Pentair IntelliChlor - IC60
    1.5 inch pipe size

29,025 gals x 2 turnovers = 58,050 gals

24 hrs - 2,419 gph - 40.3 gpm
    20 hrs - 2,903 gph - 48.4 gpm
    16 hrs - 3,628 gph - 60.5 gpm

Please let me know if I am missing any information, and I certainly appreciate your thoughts and advice.

30,000 gals
    Sand Filter
    IG, Vinyl
    South Carolina

2. Back To Top    #2
    Central Minnesota

Re: Pool Pump and Motor Advice

I've always found this article in Pool School helpful. Pool School - Pump Basics

With your size pool, I think that a 3/4 HP, 2-speed pump would be best. Turnover time is useful for giving you a relative number in helping to size the pump. However, in practical application, such as how long you'll actually need to run the pump each day, you DO NOT need to make sure to "turn over" the water every day. You only need to run the pump long enough on low-speed to properly skim the pool and in your case, long enough to run the SWG to add enough chlorine. I would recommend starting with 4-6 hours of run time, and your SWG set at 80-100%. Adjust run time and SWG output with a priority on running the pump for short times with high SWG outputs.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Pool Pump and Motor Advice

Thanks for the feedback JVTrain. The 3/4 hp comes only in 115v so the amp draw is significantly higher. What are your thoughts on running the Pentair Whisperflow 2speed 1hp 230v motor?

30,000 gals
    Sand Filter
    IG, Vinyl
    South Carolina