Newbie pool owner in Canberra

Mar 19, 2016
Canberra
Hello All,

Well, thanks to all you good folks on the introductions group, yesterday I ordered the pool testing kit and was marking time until delivery. Also yesterday I backwashed and rinsed the filter (didn't see much change in the glass viewer) and put the setting back to filter. However, today on returning from work I see the pool level has dropped. I'm thinking it could be to do with the backwash/filter/etc valve. I jiggled the valve about a little and fingers crossed it's okay now but clearly there is a problem with the valve too. I also used the Barracuda pool cleaner and found that the filter seemed ineffective - simply pumping the dirt back into the pool as if on re-circulation. So things aren't exactly going swimmingly here. Anyone have any suggestions? Attached are the pics.

Cheers,

Paul

Attachments

• pump etc 2.JPG
    pump etc 2.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 108
  • pump etc 1.jpg
    pump etc 1.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 108
  • pool area.jpg
    pool area.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 110
We can't see it from the pics, but it almost sounds as though your multiport valve's spider gasket may be going bad. It's repairable if you would like to do it yourself. When the spider gasket starts to go back, weird things begin to happen because you think the level is on one selection, but the gasket allows water to flow though another direction.

Good job on getting the test kit on the way.

Pat has you covered on your filter.

Can you please add your size pump and size and kind of filter in your signature. When you test kit gets there add that info in also. THANKS!

Kim

We can't see it from the pics, but it almost sounds as though your multiport valve's spider gasket may be going bad. It's repairable if you would like to do it yourself. When the spider gasket starts to go back, weird things begin to happen because you think the level is on one selection, but the gasket allows water to flow though another direction.

Thanks Pat, I think you're exactly right about the spider valve gasket. Do you think I should look at cleaning/replacing the filter sand while I'm at it? The collar between the valve and the filter is a bit unusual in that it has no clamp. I'm guessing it might be threaded. And the filter has no drain plug from what I can tell - though maybe it's concealed by all the rubbish/sand in the pump and filter area. Also, the gauge isn't working.

Good job on getting the test kit on the way.

Pat has you covered on your filter.

Can you please add your size pump and size and kind of filter in your signature. When you test kit gets there add that info in also. THANKS!

Kim

Thanks, done as best I can from the limited information available to me. Unfortunately I have no idea what the filter size is.

I'm not real familiar with your filter, but I can say that for the most part, sand should last as long as the filter itself as long as nothing was done to it previously that may have compromised its consistency. Generally, before replacing, we'll suggest that folks try a really good deep cleaning as noted here: Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter. I might try the spider gasket and deep cleaning first. Depending upon the results of those two things, that may confirm if you really need to crack that thing open and go any further inside. As we know, depending on the age of the item, unexpected things can happen when we tear apart a filter (laterals get damaged, etc) so the less you do might be best for now - unless the gasket and deep cleaning don't work. The you'd have no choice but to "jump in". :)

As for the gauge, they have very nice glycerin gauges on the TFTestkits.net for a good price that work quite well with great feedback from other members.

This looks to be close to what you have: Thermoplastic Top Mount T-Series Filters.

Ned, based on your Waterco brand filter, I would look for a manufacture label or something with a good model/serial number and simply just give them a call to confirm which size you need. There are so many different spider gaskets out there it's crazy. As for the gauge, I couldn't quite make-out what kind you have or how it is positioned on your filter. The ones I've seen are typically universal in size. But if you go HERE, you will see the gauges I am referring to. There are two types depending upon how your gauge is positioned. Maybe one of those will look like it should work. If your Waterco is unique, then you may need to get one from them specifically. Hope that helps.

Thanks, I'll have a look at it over this coming long weekend. I might even take the valve to my local pool shop to get it sized/matched up. It'll be worth the extra financial hit to get the right part first time and done quickly - rather than wait for internet ordered delivery.

Ned, PLEASE do not feel bad about asking questions! We have ALL been there, done that at one time or another. Ask and question everything to make sure you understand or even if you just want to make sure you are doing it right!

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi All, I took the filter lid off to change the gasket and deep clean the sand. Annoyingly someone had superglued the old gasket so it was an almost impossible job to prepare it for a new one. Plus the valve handle was cracked and looked ready to break so I decided to replace the part. It wasn't a lot more expensive to replace the whole thing relative to the gasket so it made sense to do that. Regarding deep cleaning the sand: there was none of the expected gunk on the surface of the sand and washing the sand with a hose pipe extracted very little dirt. So I put the lid back on, backwashed it, rinsed it and set it back to filter and all looked okay (worth noting that after a week with no pump while I ordered the new valve the pool water had become crystal clear - with just the sediment on the pool floor. So I stared the barracuda running and within a few minutes the sediment was being pumped back into the pool through the inlet jets. So it looks like the filter isn't doing it's job. What could be wrong?
Thanks.

Generally sand will not go bad unless it was compromised with some pool store product that changed its consistency. Hopefully the sand used was #20 silica sand. That could be an issue. But even if you were to try and change the sand, that also means you have access to the laterals and everything else inside anyways. Generally though, sand going back to the pool is either from a bad spider gasket (already replaced) or something damaged in the filter (i.e. laterals). You may no choice but to crack that egg open and take a peak at some point. :)

I experienced something similar. Here's the advice that I went with. Rinse at least 2 minutes after backwash, pump on high. Let it sit for a few minutes before turning it back on. Filter on low speed for a day or two before using higher speeds. (to allow more fines to get caught between the sand grains). YMMV

Cracking it open may be your outcome, but just thought I'd mention the above in case it works. I've been told that pool shops will lend you a venturi sand-sucker so that getting the sand out is easy (not considering clean-up/disposal :). If you see a clear plastic round thing laying around (around 300-400 diameter, fits over the standpipe to prevent sand getting in), it's handy for the refill.

Maybe a 28"? (outside diameter). Table below (based on new Waterco)

24"..... 155 kg sand... 127 kg zeolite/glass
28"..... 225 kg sand... 185 kg zeolite/glass
32"..... 340 kg sand... 280 kg zeolite/glass

Sand/Zeolite? - My reading says both work fine. I have recycled glass but truly doubt it's any better, so I think it's just a cost/convenience question (couple sacks less with zeolite).

Just my experiences and from reading here and talking to poolies, I'm no expert!!

Yeah, 28" is about right but 225 kg of sand sounds like a lot. I was thinking of buying one of those wet and dry vacs to suck all the sand and water out. I'll check first but I wouldn't be surprised if the cost is around the same as the venturi sand-sucker hire.
Cheers.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.