Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help! Looking to build a new pool but overwhelmed with options

1. Back To Top    #1

Help! Looking to build a new pool but overwhelmed with options

I have pretty much decided on a fiberglass pool due to upkeep being slightly more manageable while price being slightly less expensive than gunite. However I am having a hard time finding a company that I'm confident in using. I have only found 2 in my area: Southeast Louisiana. Also, I thought I wanted bubblers but have been told I need deck jets to create the noise I'm looking for (to drowned out traffic). Another confusing part of this is the decking: I can't decide whether to do brushed concrete or Spraydeck. Anyone out there with sound advice on these things? It would be greatly appreciated!
    15 X 34 Pacific Blue Viking Fiji, 3'6" to 6', 12,000 gallon with spill-over spa wrapped in stone, 2 laminars, noche travertine coping, & spray deck patio. Hayward Heat Pump, SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help! Looking to build a new pool but overwhelmed with options

The hole and setting the shell in the hole and making sure it is level is the hardest part. IF you can find someone that has done it successfully then you are good.

You can get one of these to make noise in your pool BUT you need to know that anything that makes noise with the water will push your PH up in your water.

Amazon.com : Splash Pools 30700 Waterfall Pool Fountain : Swimming Pool Pump Accessories : Patio, Lawn Garden

Or you could just get a pretty premade waterfall to turn on as wanted outside of your pool.

Now on to fiberglass be easier to maintain.........ANY pool can be easy to maintain with the right equipment--------a GOOD test kit being the main thing! No matter what kind of pool you get having a good test kit will make it VERY easy to take care of.

Here is some light reading to help you understand the ideas behind TFP.

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

It will seem overhelming at first glance BUT someone is almost always here to help you understand anything you have questions about.

Most of the stuff you need to take care of your pool can be bought at Target and Walmart........how neat is that???????

I hope this is helpful to you. I look forward to seeing you move ahead on your pool build.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks so much! I'll be reading up a lot on this site, I can tell. And I LOVE Walmart so happy about that part. I should mention that I plan to get a freeform fiberglass with spillover spa. The company I plan to go with has done many pools (per website) & my hubby checked them out to make sure all of their pics were originals. I'm having a spillover spa wrapped with stacked stone, deck jets with LEDs, bubblers with LED. I'm just not sure if everything included is what I need for cleaning & maintenance. This is what the impromptu bid showed:
    Fiji
    Spill Over Spa

Heat Pump H/C
    Bubblers in Steps
    Deck Jets
    Travertine Coping
    Waterline Tile
    LED lights
    700 sq. ft of concrete with spray deck

Verbally it comes with: sand filter & saltwater system (no vacuum but he recommends Dolphin). I haven't signed contract yet but will do so soon.
    15 X 34 Pacific Blue Viking Fiji, 3'6" to 6', 12,000 gallon with spill-over spa wrapped in stone, 2 laminars, noche travertine coping, & spray deck patio. Hayward Heat Pump, SWG

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP,

I second the Dolphin. Its something you might as well get top of the line of when you do. Included with the entire build cost, it's a no brainer. Let us know how it goes, we always love a new build.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

5. Back To Top    #5

Do you have any pictures of the pool you want?
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    Do you have any pictures of the pool you want?
    Yes! I've saved tons from the internet although I want mine to look somewhat different with a spillover spa wrapped in stacked stone. Here are a few:
    Fiji-8k.jpgFiji13.jpgfiji-3n.jpgCalypso-Fiberglass-Pool-built-by-Signature-Pools-in-Campton-Hills-Illinois.jpg

7. Back To Top    #7

Oh I want that one.........oh that one is great also,,,,,,,,,Look at that one! I want it too! All of them are so pretty! You have good taste!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Haha! I know, it's hard to decide Kim! I'll be posting here through everything hopefully. Should I start another thread on "
    Under Construction" or just do it here?

9. Back To Top    #9

Lets move you over to under const as that is really what you are doing. Here is more for those that have pools already and need to learn how to care for it.

Make sure to link to the build thread here when you start it please! I want to keep up with this one!

Kim

10. Back To Top    #10

Sure will, thanks!

11. Back To Top    #11

Here is link to my other thread...
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...east-Louisiana

Thanks for the guidance.

12. Back To Top    #12

Got and heading that way now!

Kim