Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Rectangular solar cover on a free-form pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Rectangular solar cover on a free-form pool?

Hi All,

Forgive me if this question has been covered already. We have a free-form pool and I would like to extend our NE swim season with a solar cover. I figure a rectangular solar sheet could cover roughly 80-90% of the surface. Would I get 80-90% of the insulating value if that is all that is covered or do uncovered areas have a disproportionate effect on overall heat loss? In other words, should I go to the trouble of buying oversize and cutting a perfect fit for 100%? I'm trying to trade off the convenience of being able to reel it up easily in one step versus getting most of the value of having the pool insulated during the early and late months of the swim season. I understand that one can fold the eccentric areas up and make it into a rectangle before reeling, but I'm trying to be honest with myself about how many steps I'm likely to undertake to take before doing a few laps before and/or after work (Yes, I'm kinda lazy). I know myself, if it is too much of a hassle, I'm less likely to do the folding and rolling. I suppose I could also have separate small pieces that I could pull out to cover the non-rectangular bulges...but will they stay in place when the reeled rectangle is in place?

The cover would probably only be used during the early and late months of the season. Thanks for any thoughts/experience that can help.

Cheers,

Jay
    Jay--Metro NYC
    35K gal, in-ground, free-form, pebble finish, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, autofill. No spa, no features. Partial shade.
    Pentair C&C cartridge filter (400 sq in), Pentair VS pump, Pentair 140 btu heat pump, Triton Plus Robo-cleaner; Stenner with 55 gal bleach cistern. TFT 100 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Rectangular solar cover on a free-form pool?

22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

3. Back To Top    #3

gwegan, I just bought some PVC pipes and connectors to make my own roller after watching a similar video....cost me $25. Maybe I'll post my own video after making it.

Kevin, TFP Believer & Supporter
    (Yup, I drank the pool water)
    13.5K gal, 24' Round AG Vinyl, TF-100 Test Kit
    2HP Waterway Pump, 200 SqFt Hayward Element Filter
    Recommendations: Pool School, TFTestkits & Pool Math

4. Back To Top    #4

Here is the cover roller I made: DIY Solar Cover Roller
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

great ideas! Thanks all! I'll check these options out.
    Jay--Metro NYC
    35K gal, in-ground, free-form, pebble finish, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, autofill. No spa, no features. Partial shade.
    Pentair C&C cartridge filter (400 sq in), Pentair VS pump, Pentair 140 btu heat pump, Triton Plus Robo-cleaner; Stenner with 55 gal bleach cistern. TFT 100 test kit.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks Mas, you influenced my design a bit...returning the pvc for some foam core and heading to lowe's to look for the auto clips!

Kevin, TFP Believer & Supporter
    (Yup, I drank the pool water)
    13.5K gal, 24' Round AG Vinyl, TF-100 Test Kit
    2HP Waterway Pump, 200 SqFt Hayward Element Filter
    Recommendations: Pool School, TFTestkits & Pool Math

7. Back To Top    #7

Good choice. Standard PVC tends to sink so it will drag the cover down a bit. Foam core floats so it helps keep the cover on the surface.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater