Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: JimbobT

1. Back To Top    #1

JimbobT

Greetings to all.

My name is James, or Jim, or Jimbob... doesn't really matter so long as it's not "late for dinner."

I'm on my fourth pool as either a homeowner or renter. First pool was above ground, vinyl lined, chlorine in the northern (Michigan) climate. Second pool was an in-ground gunite pool with a SWG in Florida. My third and fourth pools are running concurrently in my current rented home as well as the home I just purchased; both are in-ground gunite on standard chlorine.

For my first pool up north, I never worried about much except chlorine and pH. Somehow, I managed to succeed despite my lack of knowledge.

My second pool with the SWG was great, though I still largely succeeded "despite myself." I didn't really know what I was doing but a general distrust of contractors combined with my electrical engineering background and DIY approach to most things managed to succeed.

For my 3rd pool, in my current rented home, we actually have a pool company that is included with our rent. I have a deal worked out with the pool tech that he will not add tabs to the chlorine in-line feeder, only liquid chlorine. He does his thing once a week and he leaves a 2.5G jug of pool chlorine for me to use on my own in between . Have never had a better looking pool ; using largely what I have learned here as a troll for the past two years. Admittedly, I was relying on pool store measurements, but making my own decisions based off of those measurements.

For my 4th pool, on the home we just purchased, it is a work in progress, though already light years ahead of where it was just three weeks ago. When we closed on the purchase in late February, there was a build-up of significant organic matter on the bottom of the pool, though it was still largely "clear." That said, Chlorine was at 0 and pH was at 7.0. I added a suction-based MX-6 pool cleaner to the pool, replaced a clogged cartridge filter (was running at 28 psi with the old one and now at 7-9 with the new one and after weekly cleanings), then I SLAM'ed it. I've still been relying on pool store measurements until today (we have a GREAT pool store close by) but today, I finally used my first ever TF-100 test kit.

I am pleased to say that the numbers I measured are not much different from those the pool store provided. That said, I am more determined that ever to acquire only hardware and chlorine from the pool store, following the trouble-free method otherwise.

Using my newly-acquired TF-100 today, I can see that I'm ready to be done SLAMing and let the FC drift back down to target range.

Numbers are as follows:

pH = 7.6
    FC = 20.5
    CC = 0 (yay!)
    CH = 450 (a bit high, not sure what the previous owner did or did not do; will get lowered by replacement water from use)
    TA = 100
    CYA = 50

It felt very good to measure my own complete set of measurements for the new pool and using that information, I now know I can let the FC drift to normal; then supplement accordingly; all while enjoying a very sparkly, blue, pool, that reached 78F today.

I cannot say enough for what I have learned here as a troll.

~JimbobT

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: JimbobT

Welcome to TFP!!

First, not a troll at all. A troll is:
    a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion, often for their own amusement.
    Quote from Wikipedia

Many folks read our forums and never register or post which is why we generally try to keep discussions on point to our teachings and not let someone get bad information.

Glad you are taking control of your pool!!
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

I think you mean "Lurker" not "Troll."

Lurkers are welcome.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

You sound like a TFP veteran already. Great to have you with us "J".
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

I vote this the one of the best first posts every AND you are a FL person as well! In for the win!

I am SO glad you found TFP and got a good test kit. It does not get much better than this!

If you have really been reading then you know you left one thing out.............pictures!!!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome to TFP! Good job taking care of your pool!

You can add your pool info to your signature with info found here, Pool School - Read This Before You Post
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

Talking Re: JimbobT

tim5055, Richard320, Texas Splash, kimkats, & pooldv:

Thank you all for the warm welcome and the guidance on the signature (I've tried twice for the sig; maybe this time)?

Fair enough on the delineation between lurker and troll, though after two years of lurking; I somehow still feel like a troll

Pictures to come soon enough; maybe next weekend; the screen enclosure still looks like butt; all green and black from years of neglect. I'll be working on that in the coming days; as soon as it sparkles the white it should and the screens to not look green; I'll post pics.
    10.6K gal, IG gunite/plaster, 1 HP "old school" Hayward pump @ 3,450 RPM, 75 sqft "American Commander 75" cartridge filter, chlorine, Zodiac MX6 pool cleaner, TF100 test kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Nice sig!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

9. Back To Top    #9

Now J if you have been doing ANY reading on here you KNOW we love to see the before so we can see just how much hard work it took to get to the after pictures. I have LOTS of pictures of my house in the before state. I make SURE everyone knows they are before pictures as they are NOT something to "show off" LOL BUT it does show the hard work we did.

So make sure to take the before pictures to show with the after pictures for us all to cheer about!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

OK @kimkats ... here are the pictures you requested. I got a little done on the bird cage today and am continuing to let the Chlorine fall to target levels.

PLaced them in a Just Getting Started thread here.
    10.6K gal, IG gunite/plaster, 1 HP "old school" Hayward pump @ 3,450 RPM, 75 sqft "American Commander 75" cartridge filter, chlorine, Zodiac MX6 pool cleaner, TF100 test kit