Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New test kit--first numbers

1. Back To Top    #1

New test kit--first numbers

Our pool was finished at the end of last summer. I got by in the winter with just testing chlorine and ph. I finally ordered a full test kit. Here are the numbers and plan.

Date 3-20
    Chlorine (Cl) 1
    pH 7.8
    Free Chlorine (FC) .5
    Combined Chloramines (CC) .5
    Total Chlorine(TC) 1
    Calcium Hardness (CH) 400
    Total Alkalinity (TA) 80
    CYA 50
    Sodium Chloride 4200
    Borate 0

Chlorine--I bumped my salt water generator up, but I'm thinking of adding some bleach to get it up more quickly. We did have lots of pollen -- clumps--and added pool first aid yesterday. Can the breakdown of this eat up some of the chlorine?

pH-I added 4 cups of muriatic acid. I have to add acid 2-3 times a week.

CYA-looks like I need to add some stabilizer. Any recommended brands?

Borate--do I need to test this?

I've learned a lot of these forums. Trying to digest it all. Thanks for any help.

Amanda
    Built 2015: 12,000 gallon gunite with pebble tec finish kidney shaped pool. Pentair 2 speed pump, Pentair salt chlorine generator, Polaris 380, Northern Florida

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New test kit--first numbers

No doubt your FC is very low, and for a SWG-pool, so is your CYA. The sun will eat-up your FC before the SWG can keep-up with it, so adding some bleach will help until you can get it all adjusted. A SWG pool should have at minimum CYA of 70 ppm, and your FC should be around 5 or so. You don't want pH any higher than 7.8, and while TA is okay, even that could go down to 60-70 and be good with continuous acid treatments. That lower TA should help keep pH from rising so fast as well.

Since your FC dropped so much, keep an eye on the quality of your water to ensure algae hasn't started. You may need to do an overnight test per the Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT) page if the water gets hazy or you see any green at all. Let us know if you have any more questions.

Oh, and any CYA should do. Just make sure it's active ingredient is cyanuric acid and you'll be fine. You can find it at Wal-Mart or the home improvement stores in their pool sections.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

What is "pool first aid"??

Pat has you covered for your levels

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I will add some CYA and bleach. Our pool is in full sun; we also got several inches of rain yesterday/last night.

The water is very clear; no visible algae. I will do the overnight test tonight.

Pool first aid is a clarifier. We had a bottle from the contracter. It did help with the pollen. Although now I'm wondering if the pollen was algae.

Thanks for the advice.
    Built 2015: 12,000 gallon gunite with pebble tec finish kidney shaped pool. Pentair 2 speed pump, Pentair salt chlorine generator, Polaris 380, Northern Florida

5. Back To Top    #5

Your OCLT should confirm what (if anything) may be in the water. If you pass the OCLT, then simply press-on with the FC/CYA adjustments and you should be good. If you fail the OLCT, or your water condition begins to change, please let us know.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!