Help with a nasty plaster stain...

Drockfresh

LifeTime Supporter
May 27, 2012
Austin, TX
3d91682bc93b21ac536d5f8ad0ef2f51.jpg

I can't get rid of this stain by shocking the pool. Any suggestions on what to do?

Two tests: Hold a chlorine puck against the stain and see if it disappears. And grab some cheap Vitamin C tablets and try them on the stain.
If the puck works-its organic. If the Vit C works its a metal stain.

I've got one of those too. Can't brush it off, elevated chlorine didn't do much, but it's only been a day. If it doesn't improve in a few days or so I might lay a puck on it for 15 minutes and see what that does. If that doesn't work I'm planning on diving to it when it warms up and scrubbing.

What are you going to scrub it with?
The same brush head that goes on the pole. I'm actually bored and decided to go ahead and try the puck. It looks exactly like yours and is raised, like caked mud or something.

edit: Puck got it 80%. I'm going to let time and whatever chlorine is in the pool finish, I was uncomfortable leaving it on the floor any longer.

It doesn't look like "black" algae, so I think the black stain is most likely from the rebar "rusting" below the plaster surface (gunite) and then bleeding to the surface. To fix requires chipping out the plaster and gunite down to the rebar and removing and treating properly so that it doesn't rust again. Chlorine tabs, acid, and other treatments won't stop this type of problem because it is all the way through the plaster coat.

It doesn't look like "black" algae, so I think the black stain is most likely from the rebar "rusting" below the plaster surface (gunite) and then bleeding to the surface. To fix requires chipping out the plaster and gunite down to the rebar and removing and treating properly so that it doesn't rust again. Chlorine tabs, acid, and other treatments won't stop this type of problem because it is all the way through the plaster coat.

I bet that's what it is because the pool has had other structural issues. I just rebuilt the bond beam after it crumbled into the pool. Then I had to knock out and replace the deck. spent too much on that project- you wouldn't believe it.

If there is ever money to replaster I'll take care of this. For now will have to let it be. There is no way I'm draining the pool to deal with this.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.