Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help with a nasty plaster stain...

1. Back To Top    #1

Help with a nasty plaster stain...

I can't get rid of this stain by shocking the pool. Any suggestions on what to do?
    ~23,500 Gallon In-Ground Plaster Pool, Intelliflo VS+ Pump, Hayward 4820 DE Filter, IntelliChlor IC40 SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help with a nasty plaster stain...

Two tests: Hold a chlorine puck against the stain and see if it disappears. And grab some cheap Vitamin C tablets and try them on the stain.
    If the puck works-its organic. If the Vit C works its a metal stain.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

I've got one of those too. Can't brush it off, elevated chlorine didn't do much, but it's only been a day. If it doesn't improve in a few days or so I might lay a puck on it for 15 minutes and see what that does. If that doesn't work I'm planning on diving to it when it warms up and scrubbing.
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bruce View Post
    I've got one of those too. Can't brush it off, elevated chlorine didn't do much, but it's only been a day. If it doesn't improve in a few days or so I might lay a puck on it for 15 minutes and see what that does. If that doesn't work I'm planning on diving to it when it warms up and scrubbing.
    What are you going to scrub it with?
    ~23,500 Gallon In-Ground Plaster Pool, Intelliflo VS+ Pump, Hayward 4820 DE Filter, IntelliChlor IC40 SWG

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Drockfresh View Post
    What are you going to scrub it with?
    The same brush head that goes on the pole. I'm actually bored and decided to go ahead and try the puck. It looks exactly like yours and is raised, like caked mud or something.

edit: Puck got it 80%. I'm going to let time and whatever chlorine is in the pool finish, I was uncomfortable leaving it on the floor any longer.
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

6. Back To Top    #6

If a puck helps then you can raise your FC up to SLAM level for your CYA and brush it a few times a day or more and it should go away in a week or two. Chlorine CYA Chart
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

Drockfresh (OP), let us know what you find!

8. Back To Top    #8

It doesn't look like "black" algae, so I think the black stain is most likely from the rebar "rusting" below the plaster surface (gunite) and then bleeding to the surface. To fix requires chipping out the plaster and gunite down to the rebar and removing and treating properly so that it doesn't rust again. Chlorine tabs, acid, and other treatments won't stop this type of problem because it is all the way through the plaster coat.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by onBalance View Post
    It doesn't look like "black" algae, so I think the black stain is most likely from the rebar "rusting" below the plaster surface (gunite) and then bleeding to the surface. To fix requires chipping out the plaster and gunite down to the rebar and removing and treating properly so that it doesn't rust again. Chlorine tabs, acid, and other treatments won't stop this type of problem because it is all the way through the plaster coat.
    I bet that's what it is because the pool has had other structural issues. I just rebuilt the bond beam after it crumbled into the pool. Then I had to knock out and replace the deck. spent too much on that project- you wouldn't believe it.

If there is ever money to replaster I'll take care of this. For now will have to let it be. There is no way I'm draining the pool to deal with this.