Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Union fitting sheared off when tightening onto p

1. Back To Top    #1

Union fitting sheared off when tightening onto p

I was putting a new unnion fitting on the pump and while I was tightening it down it cracked right off. I am a bit surprised. I thought it would have been stronger. I was using Oatly white pipe joint compound on the threads. Is there a way to remove this?

image.jpg
    10k Gallon pool - Hayward pump, Hayward Aquarite with T-Cell-15, Heliocol 5 panel solar with controller.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Union fitting sheared off when tightening onto p

Get a hacksaw blade and cut notches in the plastic. Not deep enough to hit the threads. Then stick something in the hole that fits in the notches. Then use that to unscrew the broken off piece.

3. Back To Top    #3

You can dig it out, but doing it without buggering the threads on the housing will take patience and steady hands.

First thing to try is wedging a trowel or a chisel or something else into the remaining piece and see if you can unscrew it. Heating it up so it melts its way in - without melting the housing threads - might help.

Second is to create a notch (or use the notch left by the first attempt) and use a punch in that notch and hammer taps tangentially to unscrew it. Like this:

Third starts to get dicey. Use an exacto knife saw or a dremel tool to weaken the broken pipe by cutting a groove in the pipe without actually going through to the threads. Then a sharp narrow chisel directed inward adjacent to the grove and some hammer taps to crack the broken piece and cause it to move inward and away from the female threads. That might loosen it enough to unscrew the stump.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Got IT!! Whew that's a relief! I used a 1.5"x1.5" pice of aluminum angle. I cut one of the sides to a L-shaped profile, and tapped it into the pipe and unscrewed it. Worked GREAT!
    10k Gallon pool - Hayward pump, Hayward Aquarite with T-Cell-15, Heliocol 5 panel solar with controller.

5. Back To Top    #5

6. Back To Top    #6

I was holding my breath as I read through the replies! Good job!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Now if only i could find a new union fitting. I bought the three I am installing at Pinch a penny, but when I called them, they said they had no more. So now I am driving all around town trying to get one more.

8. Back To Top    #8

Just for a follow up on the hacksaw approach, those new vibrating blade multi use tools that came out a few years ago makes this sort of job oh so much easier, they are like a hot knife through butter.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~