Sep 7, 2008
I have noticed in the last couple of weeks that I am having to add much more acid and bleach than usual. I'm adding acid about every other day and my chlorine levels are dropping to 3-4 in just a day or so. I realize that with the temperatures rising chemicals will burn away faster, but it seems extreme. Suggestions?
Also, the pressure is running very low to where my vacuum barely moves. What would be causing that? Thanks! :?:

Here are the requested levels: FC=2 CC=.5 TC=2.5 pH=8 TA=90 CYA=???? The water filled the tube to the top and I could still faintly see the black dot. I did the test twice because I thought I goofed it up the first time, but both times were the same. In the past my CYA has always run high. As far as the pressure, I put in brand new filters in January. I thought that they were to be cleaned twice a year. I also thought that if the filters were dirty that the pressure ran high? I also saw the info regarding the ammonia levels in the water. I thought I would wait to buy the test kit for that until I got a little bit more information. Thanks so much for the help! :mrgreen:

Lack of CYA is probably the reason for the chlorine use.

Low pressure comes from restrictions or leaks on the inlet side of the pump. Any bubbles in the pump strainer basket or coming from the returns? Dirty skimmer baskets or pump strainer basket? Your Navigator could also be the cause of the low pressure. Is the pressure normal when the Navigator isn't hooked up? Check the hose and the unit for obstructions if it appears the Navigator is the cause.

JohnT said:
Lack of CYA is probably the reason for the chlorine use.

Ditto that. Have you performed an overnight FC test?

Based on the numerous ammonia cases this year, I would suspect that your CC would be much higher if it were an ammonia situation. Did you winterize your pool, and did you experience a prolonged shocking process upon opening this season?

I see you added borates to your pool, so I would think your PH would be more stable. Perhaps you could try lowering the TA down to 70 to see if that would help. Do you have a water feature that provides a source of aeration, causing the PH to go up?

Based on your advice, I added stabilizer to raise my CYA level. I'm sure I didn't add enough yet, but the last thing I want to end up with is too high a level. How long do I have to wait to test the water to see how much more I need to add? Also, when I get the CYA where it should be, in what order should I adjust chlorine, pH and borates? Should I still lower my TA to 70?

Thank you! :goodjob:

65corvette said:
Based on your advice, I added stabilizer to raise my CYA level. I'm sure I didn't add enough yet, but the last thing I want to end up with is too high a level. How long do I have to wait to test the water to see how much more I need to add? Also, when I get the CYA where it should be, in what order should I adjust chlorine, pH and borates? Should I still lower my TA to 70?

Thank you! :goodjob:

If the CYA was the granule form, wait a week to retest it. How much did you add/what was your target for dosing? After 24 hours, assume "it's in there" and raise your FC level accordingly (see the chart for reference).

Today, use MA to lower the PH to 7.4 and the TA will come back down a bit.

As far as bringing the TA lower, do you have a water feature that causes aeration? Waterfall/attached spa, foutain? If so, then yes, target the TA to 70. IF not, once you readjust borates (which should be done last) that should help with stabilizing the PH.

Finally, be sure to keep an eye on the FC while you are working on things so you don't get an algae bloom. In a couple of days do an "overnight FC test" to make sure your FC is holding.

Hope this helps :wink:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.