First time SLAMmer

Waggy

Mar 12, 2016
Cyprus
20160320_075229.jpg

First of all sorry for the picture orientation, but you get an idea of the pool today.

A week ago my pool was a lovely shade of green, i'd tried without luck to rid it of blooming algae, successful for a day or two at a time.

ph was 6.8
FC couldn't get much above 0 for any length of time
CYA off the scale (only have a basic dip test)

Joined the forum and set about SLAM procedures.

Half emptied pool and refilled with fresh water, CYA now at 40, raised ph to 7.5, and then added plenty of bleach (about 16 litres, 4 US gallons?) a lot of it was guesswork due to the dip kit, (will invest in a good test kit later)

Have always used dichlor puks hence the cya, i am now trying to source 6% bleach here in Cyprus, borax and bicarb (not easy to get bulk on the island)

I'd just like to say thanks to everybody on here for all the information i've picked up and will hopefully use in future, if i've done anything wrong please let me know.

Thanks again, Mike

Welcome Mike to the forum!

Sounds like you have the basics down for the SLAM but you are missing one important ingredient- one of the recommended test kits, namely one with a FAS DPD test for chlorine. Successful completion of a SLAM is based on accurate and reliable test results where you will be needing to target a specific shock level of FC for your CYA, The beauty of the FAS DPD test is that it allows you to measure your FC to within 0.5 and it allows you to test at high chlorine levels, which you need to monitor regularly and maintain over the course of the SLAM.

Not sure the best way for you to obtain a Taylor test kit with the FAS DPD test in Cyprus but I would be trying to get hold of one sooner rather than later. It is not easy for us Aussies to get hold of one either but try this link http://www.poolvacparts.com.

Mike- welcome!

Do what you need to do by hook or by crook to get the test kit. It will save you a lot of headaches. Don't stress out yet about obtaining baking soda or borax- you may not even need them! Our method is to understand our pool chemistry and add only that which we need, not that which the pool store wants to sell us.

Have you seen the Pool School articles linked at the top of this page?

Right, my pool looks the best it ever has, but,
i'm starting to get a little confused with my chemistry, i haven't recieved my test kit yet so still using strps / oto kits.
Water temp is 65 degrees
ph 7.5
Hardness 250
TA 120
TC 7
FC 5
CYA 150?

when i started SLAM i'd half emptied pool and CYA was showing between 40 -60, now its back up at near pre empty levels?(was 200+) the only chemical i added was liquid bleach, which i stopped a week ago when my FC was holding overnight.
Am i right in thinking that if i use only liquid bleach with no stabiliser the cya will slowly come down in the baking heat that will start very soon here in Cyprus (30 to 45 degrees for 6 months)?
i don't want to empty the pool again due to the costs obviously.

Cheers, Mike

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Mike I would suggest holding firm with the liquid chlorine until the test kit arrives. I am assuming that when you say say that your water looks good you mean that it is clear.

Your inconsistent results for CYA are exactly the reason that test strips are no good and you certainly can't rely on them before doing anything like draining water. The main ways that reduce CYA levels are draining the pool/splashout.Adding liquid chlorine will not affect CYA levels

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.