Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First time SLAMmer

1. Back To Top    #1

First time SLAMmer

20160320_075229.jpg

First of all sorry for the picture orientation, but you get an idea of the pool today.

A week ago my pool was a lovely shade of green, i'd tried without luck to rid it of blooming algae, successful for a day or two at a time.

ph was 6.8
    FC couldn't get much above 0 for any length of time
    CYA off the scale (only have a basic dip test)

Joined the forum and set about SLAM procedures.

Half emptied pool and refilled with fresh water, CYA now at 40, raised ph to 7.5, and then added plenty of bleach (about 16 litres, 4 US gallons?) a lot of it was guesswork due to the dip kit, (will invest in a good test kit later)

Have always used dichlor puks hence the cya, i am now trying to source 6% bleach here in Cyprus, borax and bicarb (not easy to get bulk on the island)

I'd just like to say thanks to everybody on here for all the information i've picked up and will hopefully use in future, if i've done anything wrong please let me know.

Thanks again, Mike
    26ft x 13 ft 11000 US gallon inground vinyl lined pool, Triton TR60 sand filter, Pentair 1hp pump, poolexactZ photometer tester, From May to October 90 degrees and above pool in sun all day

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: First time SLAMmer

Welcome Mike to the forum!

Sounds like you have the basics down for the SLAM but you are missing one important ingredient- one of the recommended test kits, namely one with a FAS DPD test for chlorine. Successful completion of a SLAM is based on accurate and reliable test results where you will be needing to target a specific shock level of FC for your CYA, The beauty of the FAS DPD test is that it allows you to measure your FC to within 0.5 and it allows you to test at high chlorine levels, which you need to monitor regularly and maintain over the course of the SLAM.

Not sure the best way for you to obtain a Taylor test kit with the FAS DPD test in Cyprus but I would be trying to get hold of one sooner rather than later. It is not easy for us Aussies to get hold of one either but try this link http://www.poolvacparts.com.
    11 000 gallons, IG, Fibreglass, Monarch Sand Filter, Davey Typhoon C100M 1HP pump, Davey Chloromatic Mc16CTO ESR SWG, Davey Pool Wall Climba Robot, Daisy Solar Cover,
    K-2006

3. Back To Top    #3

What a difference! Good job!

Keep working on getting a good test kit. THEN your water will look even better!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Nice to hear Mike. Welcome to TFP!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

Mike- welcome!

Do what you need to do by hook or by crook to get the test kit. It will save you a lot of headaches. Don't stress out yet about obtaining baking soda or borax- you may not even need them! Our method is to understand our pool chemistry and add only that which we need, not that which the pool store wants to sell us.

Have you seen the Pool School articles linked at the top of this page?
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

6. Back To Top    #6

It would appear from your replies i need a decent test kit! haha, i've found the Taylor kit on ebay at a decent price so will order one this week and post my results later.
    26ft x 13 ft 11000 US gallon inground vinyl lined pool, Triton TR60 sand filter, Pentair 1hp pump, poolexactZ photometer tester, From May to October 90 degrees and above pool in sun all day

7. Back To Top    #7

Make sure it is the Taylor K-2006 (no other number) as it has the necessary FAS-DPD test in it which will measure chlorine up to 50ppm.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

8. Back To Top    #8

found one on ebay 60 euro so will get it ordered

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Preferably make it the K2006C- you may need the extra reagents for the FAS-DPD test
    11 000 gallons, IG, Fibreglass, Monarch Sand Filter, Davey Typhoon C100M 1HP pump, Davey Chloromatic Mc16CTO ESR SWG, Davey Pool Wall Climba Robot, Daisy Solar Cover,
    K-2006

10. Back To Top    #10

Right, my pool looks the best it ever has, but,
    i'm starting to get a little confused with my chemistry, i haven't recieved my test kit yet so still using strps / oto kits.
    Water temp is 65 degrees
    ph 7.5
    Hardness 250
    TA 120
    TC 7
    FC 5
    CYA 150?

when i started SLAM i'd half emptied pool and CYA was showing between 40 -60, now its back up at near pre empty levels?(was 200+) the only chemical i added was liquid bleach, which i stopped a week ago when my FC was holding overnight.
    Am i right in thinking that if i use only liquid bleach with no stabiliser the cya will slowly come down in the baking heat that will start very soon here in Cyprus (30 to 45 degrees for 6 months)?
    i don't want to empty the pool again due to the costs obviously.

Cheers, Mike

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

Mike I would suggest holding firm with the liquid chlorine until the test kit arrives. I am assuming that when you say say that your water looks good you mean that it is clear.

Your inconsistent results for CYA are exactly the reason that test strips are no good and you certainly can't rely on them before doing anything like draining water. The main ways that reduce CYA levels are draining the pool/splashout.Adding liquid chlorine will not affect CYA levels
    K-2006

12. Back To Top    #12

What he said ^^^^^^^^^ The "guess" strips are not doing you any good. Stick with the OTO for the FC and PH until the good test kit gets there.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

13. Back To Top    #13

ok, thanks for that, i just thought using liquid bleach (and not adding stabiliser with puks) would allow the sun to burn the stabiliser off.

Will post results when my kit arrives.

Mike