New Pool Owner - What to do first???

bal31

Feb 10, 2016
Collierville, TN
We just closed on a new home that has a pool. I have never owned a pool, or taken care of one, so this is new to me. I am sold on the TFP method, as it seem very logical, and has many followers. I have been reading a lot on here the last month or so, in preparation of buying this hose with a pool. I am actually an Environmental Engineer with water/wastewater treatment experience, so this is very similar to my day job. I am totally on board with decisions to chemical addition being made based on sampling data. I have read through many pool school articles, and already purchased the TF100 kit with the XL and speed stir option.

Having said this, I will have the opportunity at the end of next week to collect a sample, and perform my first test. I know this is the starting point I need to make any decisions/chemical additions. However, I just want to make sure there isn't anything else I need to do prior. The pool looks to be in pretty good shape. The previous owner added about 8 chlorine tabs to the dispenser last week while showing us how to operate the pump and cleaner. While I understand this was not ideal, due to adding CYA, it seems to me that it is better than nothing, since it will hopefully prevent an algae bloom. The pool is very clear/clean.

Please help the newbie out. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

Sounds like you are ready. You have your test kit, you have done your reading and you should be ready to go.

Don't be in a rush. Moving is going to be tough enough. If it's clean and clear and the CYA is reasonable, pull the tabs and move forward with liquid.

If it's clean and clear an the CYA is through the roof just bring your FC up to where it needs to be and take care of the move first.

Once you have specific reading we should be able to give more specific directions.

Congratulations!!

Welcome! :wave:

If they don't get left behind, you'll need a pole, a brush, a skimmer net or leaf rake, and maybe a vacuum head and hose. If you have a cleaner, you can skip the vacuum. I can't help you select a vacuum head, because I have one for a concrete pool so it has wheels. I believe yours will use nylon brushes. If you buy a brush, you can't get the stainless steel one, either, only nylon bristles.

Thanks for all the replies and help. I anticipate that the CYA will probably be high, since the previous owner use chlorine tabs exclusively for since the pool was installed. I know that the only way to reduce the CYA is to drain and refill. Hopefully it won't be to high and will just be a partial refill.

The previous owner is leaving behind 2-3 extendable poles, a nylon brush, a vacuum head, a hose, and a Polaris cleaner. She said she usually only manually cleans it once per year, and just runs the Polaris for all cleaning.

A model member! Looks at pretty pool with house, buy pretty pool with house, buys good test kit, post to TFP, never has to step foot in the pool store!

I think you are a keeper!

I like the ides of getting a sample of the fill water also.

I can't wait to see the pretty pool with the house!

Kim

While there take pictures of the pool and equipment, and if seller is the original owner try to ask questions like, does she have the plans for the pool, know where water pipes are buried. If there are any mystery pipes, ask what they are / were for, etc. It is much easier to ask now, than guess later when it comes to things like what does this valve do, and where does that pipe go.

So I got a sample today for the first time. Here are the numbers:

FC: 2
CC: 0
CYA: 50
pH: <6.8
CH: 100
TA: 0???

I am not positive on the TA. I pour up the 25 mL sample into my speed stir. I added 2 drops of R-0007, and then 5 drops of R-0008. The card stated it should be green, but it was red. I assume this mean the TA is 0. I have plugged this all into poolmath, but I do not know where to start. Also not that the CYA isn't 100% accurate in my opinion. My new CYA tube has a hole in the bottom, an leaks all the water out. I was able to fill the tube all the way to the top, and allow it leak out until I could see the dot. I think it is close to 50.

Also I was not able to take any pictures, but the water is relatively clear, but there is a green color (I assume algae) starting to grow on the walls and floor. Also the Polaris cleaner really seems to be green. I will try and get pictures soon. We don't technically take possession until Tuesday.

Any help and guidance is appreciated.

First thing to do is get your PH to 7.2. Enter 7.2 as your target in Poolmath and use soda ash to raise the PH. It will raise your TA also. Soda ash is available as ARM & HAMMER® Super Washing Soda Detergent Booster on launry aisle in the grocery store. It may take several tries to get the PH up to 7.2 because it could be lower than 6.8. More here on Recommended Pool Chemicals

Then it will be time to SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well I will work on the pH as soon as possible. We don't have possession of our new home yet though, so I not sure if I will be bale to go added some chemicals before Tuesday. Also. Should I take the Polaris out and clean it, or just let the slam take care of it?

Ok. I bought enough Chemicals to raise the pH and perform a slam next week. Just curious how long it will take to raise my pH. Meaning, once I add the Washing soda, how long before I should retest my pH?

Thanks for the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.