New Pool Owner - What to do first???

If it were me, I would press-on wit the SLAM. If your weatherman is like ours, 1.7" of rain could become no rain, or turn into 4 inches. So unpredictable. But the SLAM can go on. If your pool overflows, a little will run out, but no biggie.

Finally got my pH up to 7.2 and shot for 20+ ppm for my slam. Pool math called for 5 gallons, and so I put an extra gallon of 10% bleach in just to make sure I got over 20ppm.

Here are my numbers now.

FC 38
CC 0
CH 75
CYA 50
TA 50
pH 8.2

I definitely well over shot my FC really bad, but I assume it won't hurt anything???

I also had a significant jump in pH. I plan on using muriatic acid tomorrow morning to lower it. I ran out of time this evening.

I also took some pictures of the pool and equipment. I'll try and post later.

Any guidance on what to do next, aside from keeping the FC at or above 20 and meeting the Slam requirements will be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finally got my pH up to 7.2 and shot for 20+ ppm for my slam. Pool math called for 5 gallons, and so I put an extra gallon of 10% bleach in just to make sure I got over 20ppm.

Here are my numbers now.

FC 38
CC 0
CH 75
CYA 50
TA 50
pH 8.2

I definitely well over shot my FC really bad, but I assume it won't hurt anything???

I also had a significant jump in pH. I plan on using muriatic acid tomorrow morning to lower it. I ran out of time this evening.

I also took some pictures of the pool and equipment. I'll try and post later.

Any guidance on what to do next, aside from keeping the FC at or above 20 and meeting the Slam requirements will be appreciated.

Don't.

The SLAM instructions make it clear: set the pH and then ignore it for the duration. The high FC reacts with the pH reagent and makes it read falsely high. Visual proof Accurate pH test during shock levels with R-007? So don't try to adjust the pH now. You'll mess it up. You'll just have to wait until it's all over and the FC drifts down below 10 to recheck and adjust pH.

Going overboard with the bleach is a waste of money. The shock values we advocate are a considered balance of efficiency versus UV loss, because chlorine degrades faster at higher concentrations but algae gets killed faster at higher concentrations. You may have crossed the threshold where the UV losses outweigh any killing advantage. Also, you run the risk of bleaching out your liner with FC that high. I hope you've brushed well so the bleach didn't puddle somewhere on the floor.

Ok thanks for the advice. I will not worry about the pH. I know I went overboard. It was definitely unintentional. I did brush it well. Hopefully no bleaching issues. If so, nothing I can do about it now.

Here are some pics before I started the SLAM. It was not terrible, but had some green on the walls and floor. THe last picture is a picture of the drain, the circle in the center of the picture.

IMG_2101.JPG
IMG_2102.JPG

This should be an easy one to clear............it is not a swamp with tadpoles living in it! LOL

The brushing will be the best help with the bleach to get your pool clear. You will not need to work out your arms and shoulders for a few days!

Kim

Brushed this morning. It was pretty clear until I brushed. Now it is a green tint again, after stirring it all up. I assume the purpose of brushing is to stir it up and let the filter remove the solids. One question though. Should I vacuum out the solids, or just keep brushing??

Also, haven't had time to text this morning. Got a sick 5-month old with me today!!

Sorry it has been so long. I have been traveling a lot with work lately.

I completed my SLAM, and here are my numbers.

FC 9.5
CC 0
CH 75
TA 40
CYA 40
pH <6.8

The pH has me stumped. I raised it to 7.2 prior to the SLAM, and thought the bleach would have raised the pH even more during the SLAM process. I guess now that I have a cleat pool, I need some help with tweaking the chemicals to optimum levels. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Below are some pictures, and one of some ducks that drop in most days. I am trying to keep them out and they poop all over my pool deck.

IMG_2111.jpgIMG_2113.jpg

Aaahhhh the "poop deck". :) Cute.
PH can be raised in three ways: borax, soda ash, and aeration. Borax is usually the best choice. Borax raises the pH and also raises the TA level just a little. If your TA level is low soda ash will raise both the pH and TA levels. If your TA level is high, aeration is best as it will not raise the TA level at all. However, aeration is rather slow compared to the other two.
So at this point, I would be inclined to recommend adding a little soda ash as your TA could some up a little - try a target of 60 ppm. That with some aeration should help to keep the pH higher for you and more consistent. If needed, you can always raise the TA to 70-80 and see if that helps. But I'd go in stages. If you didn't have soda ash, that's okay. You could use Borax for the pH and baking soda for the TA.

Also remember that if your fill water has a low pH, then it will do that to your pool after all the backwashes from the SLAM. By the way, congrats on passing the SLAM. :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.