Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is backwashed water ok for grass?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is backwashed water ok for grass?

I have a salt system, and consider all numbers are in line (ph, salt, chlorine).... is that stuff safe to backwash onto the grass? Or will it harm the grass
    ~15k gallons, 3'-5'-4' Figure 8 Shape In Ground
    Wetedge Satin Matrix Interior (Pebble)
    Paramount In-floor System
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3050, Pentair Triton II TR100 Sand Filter
    Pentair Intellichlor IC40 SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is backwashed water ok for grass?

Most owners will say pool water has been just fine on their grass. There are at times a few exceptions, extremely arid locations, or perhaps because of the specific type of grass in that spot, but usually it has no negative effects - other than making it grow faster. If you are really concerned about your lawn (as an investment of sorts), i.e. new sod or high-end turf, I suppose you could drain some water in an isolated area a few times just to check.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

I let the dog poop and **** on it and the kids run around on it and it has a playset on top of it.... Definitely not ultra concerned with it. I just want it to feel good and look good.... And maybe do my part to try and conserve a bit

4. Back To Top    #4

Frankly I was surprised this winter when my pool water caused some yellowing in my grass. So I used to be a "it doesn't harm the grass" now I'm "I don't know."
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

5. Back To Top    #5

Ive been looking into this a little as i am thinking about switching to salt but my discharge path runs along a landscaped area -- plus one of my outdoor spigots is now softened water, and some consider the sodium levels an issue too. I am also uphill from a large river and watershed habitat that I need to consider, though my municipality does not outlaw salt as some do.

My understanding is that it's the salt build up in the soil than can, over time, reach levels toxic to vegetables, plants, and grasses. The best way to avoid impact is to discharge when the ground is already saturated eg, right after a rain. That way the plant isn't "thirsty" and directly taking up the salt. Many people report no impact on grass, but I suspect that can vary depending on how well watered the grass is by nature or human

My hunch is that these factors will make a difference on whether your lawn reacts to discharge or not. I'd doubt it would be instant, and it may not be at all, depending on the frequency, sources of freshwater, etc.
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

6. Back To Top    #6

The usual answer is it depends. It depends on the type of grass and rainfall. How much rain has a big impact for me because sometimes we get a lot and sometimes we get none. For me, bermuda grass is not affected at all and tall fescue is. But, I think the tall fescue is more affected by too much water than the salt in the water. My pool overflow drain path was impacted last spring/summer and definitely has less grass. We got a lot of rain last spring. I don't recall seeing or noticing much of an impact in prior years while in drought.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    The usual answer is it depends. It depends on the type of grass and rainfall. How much rain has a big impact for me because sometimes we get a lot and sometimes we get none. For me, bermuda grass is not affected at all and tall fescue is. But, I think the tall fescue is more affected by too much water than the salt in the water. My pool overflow drain path was impacted last spring/summer and definitely has less grass. We got a lot of rain last spring. I don't recall seeing or noticing much of an impact in prior years while in drought.
    If I were to do it, it'll be watering bermuda