Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is there any sense in a one-time spring heating?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is there any sense in a one-time spring heating?

I have an in-ground pool with spa and gas heater and an automatic cover, about 10k gallons.

In the spring, the weather warms up, then it seems to take the water forever to 'catch up' to the current weather.

Is there any merit to the idea that a one-time heating of the pool could be beneficial in an ongoing way, if the heat was retained due to warmer weather?

Or am I kidding myself, and the water would be back to the same temp it would have been within a day or two?
    10k gal IG w/ salt system, spa, gas heater, and auto cover.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is there any sense in a one-time spring heating?

I suspect that it will drop down again as long as the night temps drop below your pool temp. I have nothing to back this idea up with though... If you do it, keep track and let us know how it works. I recall reading that if your daytime temps are 90, and nighttime 70, your water will hover about 80. Of course the autocover will help but how much... I dunno?

Your signature lines appears to need some updating too
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

What are your night time temps? THAT will be the biggest factor.

Where are you located?

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    What are your night time temps? THAT will be the biggest factor.

Where are you located?

Kim

I'm in the central valley CA. Nighttime temps are still dipping into the 50's, so maybe it would be a waste. Hitting 75 during the day which makes it seem summer like!
    10k gal IG w/ salt system, spa, gas heater, and auto cover.

5. Back To Top    #5

It is your wallet so............if you want to try it do so. With your auto cover it MIGHT hold in the heat overnight. Try it and see what happens one night. Make sure to let us know what you find out!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

No.

I heated my pool up in case anyone wanted to swim at the big housewarming party after we moved in. A hundred dollars later, it was warm. Three days later, you'd never know I wasted a hundred bucks on natural gas.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

You are in the perfect area for solar. I have used solar during this time period before and have gotten my water temps into the mid 80s but it does take a couple of days of warm weather.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

8. Back To Top    #8

I turned my solar on a week ago and the kids were swimming yesterday. Water was over 80. Weather has been a bit warmer here though.

Solar plus a cover will heat your pool right up.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!