Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Where do i set my ph etc...

1. Back To Top    #1

Phoenix, AZ

Where do i set my ph etc...

I just bought this house, now just trying to get pool in line. Just did drain and refill because of cya through the roof, and did a acid and bleach wash. Now its filled up and running for week, and tabs in a floater, until I add cya. I have my stenner ready to put online. Here is my first test results.
    FC .5
    CYA 0
    CC 0
    CH 225
    TA 150
    Ph 8.2
    Tc .5

Being in az, water is hard, so the TA and CH will drift higher I assume. Were to I set my ph to prevent scaling?
    IG Gunite play pool 15k gallon 20' x 30' , System:3 cartridge filter S8M150, Stenner pump, Fiber optic lights 3 head with color wheel, TF-100 Testkit, CYA-50, FC-6, CH-375, TA-40, PH-7.8

2. Back To Top    #2
    South-Central Texas, Marion/San Antonio

Re: Where do i set my ph etc...

Bring pH down to 7.5-7.6 range. Never let it go over 7.8. TA is high with new water but will eventually come down over time - ideally around 60-80 ppm. Not the most important right now though. No SWG? Then shoot for an initial CYA target of 30-50 ppm and adjust FC to match as noted on the Chlorine/CYA chart (between 4-6 ppm). Use regular bleach to increase FC quickly to avoid cloudiness and algae bloom. Hope that helps.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

With the high TA you show, pH will rise quickly. The way to slow it down is to lower the TA. There's an article in pool school on how to do it, but that's probably not necessary. Just target 7.2 pH each time the pH gets close to 7.8. pH rise will slow, TA will go down, and at some point you'll find the sweet spot where your pool chemistry stays pretty stable for a week or more at a atime.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

To prevent scale monitor your CSI score in Poolmath. After you enter your test results it will automatically calculate it for you. Tweak PH and TA if needed to see what the impact will be to your CSI, be sure to enter water temp. Keep your CSI in the recommended range. I like to keep mine slightly negative for best results, -0.1 to -0.2.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach