Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cya gone to 0

1. Back To Top    #1

Cya gone to 0

I live in Louisiana and we have had serious flooding. Lots of leaves, limbs and other debris went into the pool and I was not able to work on it for days. It took on lots of rain water to the tip top and overflowing.. It also began to turn green and black. Today is the first day I've been able to get to work on it. Intended to begin Slam today but appear to have no CYA. I tested earlier today straight out of pool and the water showed no CYA. I read on another post that temp can affect the results so took another sample into house and let come to room temp.. Still 0. Or at least less than will register on the TF100 tube.
    I got all debris out of pool. What do I do now? Pour in bleach or address CYA first? I have 0 FC so definitely need to get that up but I don't know if I need to address CYA first.
    The pool looks exactly how it did when I first found all you great people. Looking forward to your advice!
    16 x 32 inground 23000-gallon, 4 ft shallow going to 8 ft deep, concrete surround, Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter (Side Valve) with new valve and sand, New Hayward Super Pump, Inline chlorine tab feeder (not using) TF-100xl test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cya gone to 0

As a test, add some bleach first. Enough to get to about 4 FC. See how it reacts. If the FC holds fairly well (an hour or so), even with no CYA and direct sunlight, then add stabilizer for a CYA target of 30. Check/adjust pH to 7.2-7.5 first, then begin your SLAM with an FC of 12. If you find the FC getting eliminated almost immediately after adding bleach, let us know.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Just be aware that the CYA you add to take it to a level of 30 may not show up on your test for a few days. Just slam at the level of 30 you add.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Hey guys! I remember you!

Those storms have been unreal! At least you know the basic of what to do this time!

Do the FC test like said above as soon as you can and let us know what you find. Once we get those results we can tell you want to do next.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Okay I added bleach according to pool math to bring FC up to 4 but just tested and it's at 3.5.
    Also, there isn't anywhere close to get stabilizer until Monday. Should I go ahead and raise to slam level now or is there another concern?

16 x 32 inground 23000-gallon, 4 ft shallow going to 8 ft deep, concrete surround, Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter (Side Valve) with new valve and sand, New Hayward Super Pump, Inline chlorine tab feeder (not using) TF-100xl test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Brianandmarti View Post
    Okay I added bleach according to pool math to bring FC up to 4 but just tested and it's at 3.5.
    Also, there isn't anywhere close to get stabilizer until Monday. Should I go ahead and raise to slam level now or is there another concern?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    With no CYA, any bleach you add will be stolen by the sun within an hour or so. But I understand not wanting to lose any ground by waiting. SLAM it after the Sun no longer hits it, and it won't matter that you have no CYA. And remember, with no CYA, shock level is only 10 FC.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

How long after you added the FC did you test to get the 3.5?

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

It was maybe an hour.

9. Back To Top    #9

You are good then! We can move ahead with the other stuff.

Get and add CYA to protect the FC from the sun. Bring everything inline (PH 7.2) for a SLAM and get started on clearing up the pretty pool!

Kim