Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 1.5HP Pentair Whisperflo WFE-6 leak.

1. Back To Top    #1

1.5HP Pentair Whisperflo WFE-6 leak.

Hello,

In the last six month I have replaced the shaft seal and the impeller seal two times, but the pump continues to leak (see picture below). I have done this properly. I have changed the seal plate as well thinking it might have a crack but still no fix. I'm thinking to replace the impeller as I notice some wear and tear in the impeller seal area. Anybody ever encountered a leak form impeller.? I don't know what to do. But it still leak from the shaft seal as you see from the picture. I toke it with face camera phone while the pump operates. Any suggestions.?

pump leak.jpg
    15K Kidney shape plaster gunite pool, 1.5HP Pentair Whisperflo WFE-6, DE 4820 filter, Hayward 400K BTU NG heater, 9 x 7.5 Raised Spa, 7 Waterway Jets _ One 3 main fold jet by Waterway Plastics (total 9 jets), Spa-Pentair 2HP Whisperflo WFE-8 jet pump, 12 V Hayward Universal Core Logic Pool Light for Spa, Intermatic Sub Panel.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 1.5HP Pentair Whisperflo WFE-6 leak.

Not sure, but maybe a bump will get some attention to help.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Maybe from the impeller screw. Did you replace the screw oring? Did you replace the housing gasket and the diffuser oring?

I think that the pump is way oversized for your pool. It probably uses about 2,000 watts whereas with a variable speed pump, you could probably operate at about 200 watts. It would be much quieter as well.

If your electrical rates are high, it might be worth considering replacing it with a variable speed pump.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    Maybe from the impeller screw. Did you replace the screw oring? Did you replace the housing gasket and the diffuser oring?

I think that the pump is way oversized for your pool. It probably uses about 2,000 watts whereas with a variable speed pump, you could probably operate at about 200 watts. It would be much quieter as well.

If your electrical rates are high, it might be worth considering replacing it with a variable speed pump.
    I replace the screw oring along with the other seals back in October. It was still leaking but nut much. Last week it got worse so I replaced the shaft seal and impeller seal but leak didn't stop. I didn't replaced the diffuser ring this time but I noticed it was enlarged so I will replace it Monday as I have to take the impeller to local store for their opinion on replacing it. My pump is almost 6 years old and runs 5 hour a day so it costs me about $1.50 a day. Last year I added a 5' x 7' spa so that is more gallons to run. My next pump for sure will be variable. I will post Monday on the outcome once I solve this "mystery"
    15K Kidney shape plaster gunite pool, 1.5HP Pentair Whisperflo WFE-6, DE 4820 filter, Hayward 400K BTU NG heater, 9 x 7.5 Raised Spa, 7 Waterway Jets _ One 3 main fold jet by Waterway Plastics (total 9 jets), Spa-Pentair 2HP Whisperflo WFE-8 jet pump, 12 V Hayward Universal Core Logic Pool Light for Spa, Intermatic Sub Panel.

5. Back To Top    #5

Hello there,

Just an update on this issue. It was the impleller. It was kind of bolged around the seal area (see the pictures below). It was 5.5 years old operating 5 hours a day.

image1.jpg
    image2.jpg

6. Back To Top    #6

Looks like it got overheated. Thanks for the update.