Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Check valve choice?

1. Back To Top    #1

Check valve choice?

I will be reinstalling my pump and heater soon. This year I would like to put a check valve at the heater to prevent high chloride water from back washing into the heater when the pump goes off. I am using an offline Hayward chlorinater which injects after the heater.

What is the recommended style of check valve? Flap or spring? Or am I just over killing my thought and the valve is not necessary? Thanks.
    In-Ground,14000 gallon, 15x33 fiberglass pool, starclear plus 1200 cartridge filter, tablet chlorine feeder, Hayward 1.5 hp pump, unheated

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Check valve choice?

I'm not sure I understand your question. Are you talking about keeping water from an in line Chlorinator backing into the heater? In whatever case, I'd think a standard spring flap type would work. That's what mine is. If you really wanted to fancy it up, you could add a FloVis that would give you flow indication, and the same thing all at once.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

In the Industry

Should always use a corrosion resistant one. There are several available. One of the best is made by Magic Plastics

4. Back To Top    #4

If you are going to install a check valve then one of these Jandy styles is the best because it can be easily service down the road.
    Pool Check Valves. Swimming Pool Check Valves.

I don't think it is really necessary. The real question is are you really sure about using that trichlor puck chlorinator? Each puck adds a lot of CYA and it won't take long before there is too much CYA in your pool. More here, Pool School - How to Chlorinate Your Pool
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach