Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Possible to have a 3' 8" shallow end and keep 3 steps?

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Possible to have a 3' 8" shallow end and keep 3 steps?

My PB is insisting that we can only keep 3 steps (1 of them as an oversized baja step) if we keep 3'6" as our shallow end. Supposedly, anything deeper than 3'6" would throw off the rise of the steps and force a 4th step. 3'6" is a bit too shallow for my family (we're all very tall), so we would prefer at minimum a 3'8" shallow but we definitely do not want to add an extra 4th step intruding into the pool.

Is it really not feasible to keep 3 steps in a 3'8" of water?

I'm at a bit of an impasse here with the PB, because I think it can be done, just add tiny bit more rise to a few steps, but I'm not sure if that would go against code and he seems very firm about it.

Thoughts?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Possible to have a 3' 8" shallow end and keep 3 steps?

There should be codes for what is legal in AZ for pool steps. I didn't look it up but most likely your pool builder is correct in theory but I would try to get him to fudge and inch on each step.

How deep is your baja shelf? You might be able to work something out if you change that depth.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

I had this discussion with my PB about code and pool steps. He advised that at least in my area there is no code requiring pool steps so that wasn't an issue. Our shallow end is 3'6" however where the third step hits the water is in the slope and probably closer to 4' from the bottom of the the last step. I've walked these steps without water dozens of times and they are just fine for me. I can imagine it will be a bit trickier for little kids and old people but I didn't want a 4th step either.

Gunite Pool/Spa, CLI Caribbean blue crystal stone smooth, Pentair 3hp Intellifo VS, Pentair Quad DE Filter, Pentair 400k BTU Heater, KK Prowler 820, Pentair PSL4 controler with Screenlogic wifi, Inline Chlorinator, Pentair 1.5hp Spa Blower, TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speed Stir. My 2016 Pool Build

4. Back To Top    #4

It might be a code thing, but I wouldnt know.
    PB might also be concerned about any liability issues since the rise of the steps would differ from what is considered normal, but spreading out that extra 2 inches over 3 steps doesnt seem like a big deal to me.

PBs are usually somewhat flexible on many things, so if he is adamant about it, then I would imagine it's either code or might feel there might some liability issue should someone down the road, and not necessarily you, trip and hurt themselves. Many a lawsuit has been filed over seemingly the most trivial thing.....
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

5. Back To Top    #5

I am aware of no official building code requirement for steps. However, the International Pool and Spa Code, which I do not believe is the law anywhere, provides:

809.5.1 Tread dimension and area.
    Treads shall have a minimum unobstructed horizontal depth of 10 inches (254 mm) and a minimum unobstructed surface area of 240 square inches (0.17 m2).

809.5.2 Bottom riser.
    On shallow end stairs, the bottom riser height is allowed to vary to the floor. The bottom riser must not exceed 12 inches (305 mm) to the floor for the width of the walking surface.

809.5.3 Riser height.
    Risers at the centerline shall have a uniform height not greater than 12 inches (305 mm), except the top riser, which shall be permitted to vary in height, but shall not exceed 12 inches (305 mm).

809.5.4 Additional steps.
    In design water depths exceeding 48 inches (1219 mm), no additional steps shall be required.

In English that means that steps shall have a uniform rise except for the bottom and top step.

So what you want to do is ok under the International Pool and Spa code, which seriously reduces any liability potential. The International Pool and Spa code is a creation of the Assoc of Pool and Spa Professionals.

Also you need to understand that stairs in water "act" differently than stairs not in water because of buoyancy.

The deeper the step the more buoyant the person using them and so the rise seems less and larger rises deeper in the pool do not seem or act as difficult as larger rises that are shallower.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

6. Back To Top    #6

MWahaha, I think I found the code on it: https://www.maricopa.gov/EnvSvc/AboutUs/pdf/C6S6.pdf

"Risers shall have a maximum
    uniform height of 12 inches, with the bottom riser height allowed to vary plus or minus
    two (2) inches from the uniform riser height. "

Looks like I can add the + 2" to the bottom riser and be within code

Edit: Nice, thanks guys! Going to bring this all to my PB so he won't worry about breaking code.

7. Back To Top    #7

Actually that only applies to public swimming pools. But show it to your PB. If its OK for a public pool it should be ok for a residential pool.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by gwegan View Post
    Actually that only applies to public swimming pools. But show it to your PB. If its OK for a public pool it should be ok for a residential pool.
    Oh, you're right. Even better

9. Back To Top    #9

Ours is 3'6" with 3 steps and probably 3'6" only right at the base of the steps as is curved and slopes almost immediately. So the next step into the pool would be 3'8" anyway. At least for our design.

Matt
    2016 Pool Build: 12k IG Blue Granite Pebblesheen, Travertine Coping & Pavers, Pentair IntelliFlo, Intellichlor, Easytouch, Clean & Clear 320, Heliocol Solar - TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    SWG Run Time Calculator