Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Any experience with this Stenner setup?

1. Back To Top    #1

Any experience with this Stenner setup?

I was looking around for a cheap Stenner pump and found this on Amazon. Does anyone have any experience with this or know why this wouldn't work?

Amazon.com: AutoPilot 75004 Stenner Pump/Tank 120V/60Hz - 15Gal Tank: Industrial Scientific

Thank you for any advice.
    14.5k gallon IG, Vinyl Liner, Hayward SuperPump (1HP 220v motor), Hayward DE Filter
    Polaris Booster Pump, 2 skimmers and one bottom drain, 5 returns.
    ~My Tremendous SLAM thread~

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Any experience with this Stenner setup?

The ebay ad you linked to is for a stenner pump / tank combo set up. It's sold by Autopilot as part of their chemical automated system for monitoring and adjusting chemical injection (via the Stenner brand pump and tank). Many here, including me, believe these chemical sensing / auto dispensing set ups are unnecessary and introduce more things that can give you problems and/or require maintenance.
    Pool: 13k gal. in-ground; Stonescape Mini Pebble - Tropics Blue; Connected Spa - dual spill-over; Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG; AquaLogic PS-4 Automation; Sta-Rite DE Filter; Sta-Rite Max-e-Therm 400k BTU pool heater; Intellifo 2-VST Pump; Stenner 45mp2(25psi/10gpd) acid injection; Bulbwizard color LED pool lights; Poolvergnuegen 2 wheel side suction cleaner; FAFCO rooftop solar. TF-100 w/ speed stir.

3. Back To Top    #3

Yeah I understand your concerns. I'm mainly just thinking about the tank and pump setup. Not using the rest of their system. Only for bleach.
    14.5k gallon IG, Vinyl Liner, Hayward SuperPump (1HP 220v motor), Hayward DE Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by awtrizzle View Post
    Yeah I understand your concerns. I'm mainly just thinking about the tank and pump setup. Not using the rest of their system. Only for bleach.
    In my signature, you'll see my Stenner pump specs. I have this combo pump/tank set up for acid injection and really like it. Took just an hour to get it all set up, iincluding installing the injection point and hardwiring in a digital timer (a recent post of mine describes my method of connecting at the insertion point; a much earlier post of mine and others give detailed instruction as to various power hookup methods, as you may already have checked out).

Not sure this ebay set up comes with the recommended anti backflow check valve that I had to order seperately - some Stenner models come with this). Also, Don't recall if the ebay listing posted the specs for the pump. But if I recall correctly, that price seems in line with what I paid for this same set up from an online Stenner distributor.
    Pool: 13k gal. in-ground; Stonescape Mini Pebble - Tropics Blue; Connected Spa - dual spill-over; Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG; AquaLogic PS-4 Automation; Sta-Rite DE Filter; Sta-Rite Max-e-Therm 400k BTU pool heater; Intellifo 2-VST Pump; Stenner 45mp2(25psi/10gpd) acid injection; Bulbwizard color LED pool lights; Poolvergnuegen 2 wheel side suction cleaner; FAFCO rooftop solar. TF-100 w/ speed stir.

5. Back To Top    #5

Will this work for acid or chlorine injection? Almost certainly yes. Hook it up with a timer and a backflow valve and you are probably set.

What is not clear is the specs on the Stenner pump. While that may not matter, for chlorine injection, you generally want a 10 gpd (gallons per day) pump so you have some flexibility in run time. While a 3gpd pump will work for chlorine you may need to run your pump longer than necessary.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

6. Back To Top    #6

Any experience with this Stenner setup?

Yeah after the pump specs were mentioned I have tried googling to find which stenner comes with this and I just can't find anything at all. Would this be a cheap way to go or is it actually cheaper to buy them separately? Provided the pump has the right specs of course.

7. Back To Top    #7

FYI: My Invoice from LOCKE WELL & PUMP COMPANY

1 x STS15NC - 15 Gallon Stenner Chemical Tank (STS15NC) = $114.40
    1 x 45MP2 - Stenner Pumps Chemical Feeder (45MP2) = $215.00
    Stenner Voltage 120 Volt 60 Hz = A
    Stenner Tube Type 1/4 UV Black = 2
    Add a Rain Roof MP90000 ~
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Sub-Total: $329.40
    United Parcel Service (94.00lbs) (Ground): $83.29
    Total: $412.69

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks for that!

9. Back To Top    #9

I got mine from Locke also
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

10. Back To Top    #10

One thing to consider is whether you want the pump attached to the tank or not. The advantage of having it attached is that it's a single self-supporting unit, no need to attach anything to walls etc. The advantage of separate is that you can easily take the tank elsewhere for cleaning/filling/etc, but that does mean attaching the pump to something else.

If you go with separate, much cheaper tanks are available; for example; ULINE - Shipping Boxes, Shipping Supplies, Packaging Materials, Packing Supplies. Some have even gotten them for free (used) from car washes and similar places.

I don't have a Stenner setup yet, but have been researching that and SWCGs, and while I started out wanting the single-unit tank, but on further thought decided I'd prefer the tank separate anyway for my space/usage.
    21000gal IG plaster, Sacramento CA area (late 1950s/early 60s)
    Filter: Cartridge, Pentair CCP420 (2014)
    Main pump: Pentair IntelliFlo VS (2015)
    Boost pump: 3/4hp (2011), Polaris 280 cleaner (unknown age)