Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Run Time vs Increasing Output

1. Back To Top    #1

Run Time vs Increasing Output

Intellichlor IC40

I run my pool at high speed for 3 hours to get a good turnover and cleaning. I'm trying to determine how long I should run my pump at low speed and also what output to put the intellichlor on. Is it better to run the low speed longer and have a lower output on the Intellichlor, or better to have a higher output and not run the low speed as long?
    ~15k gallons, 3'-5'-4' Figure 8 Shape In Ground
    Wetedge Satin Matrix Interior (Pebble)
    Paramount In-floor System
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3050, Pentair Triton II TR100 Sand Filter
    Pentair Intellichlor IC40 SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Run Time vs Increasing Output

It really does not make any difference either way. Cost more in power the longer you run the pump.

Some advantage to spreading out the pump/SWG run time over the day ... like in a few 2-3 hour blocks.

Really, with an in-floor system, that is going to determine how long you need to run the pump to keep the pool clean. Then just set the SWG as required.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

To the salt water generator and cell life it makes no difference. 1 hr at 100% is the same as 4 hrs at 25%, or 10 hrs at 10%. Also the output will be the same, regardless of the pump speed. There might be some marginal advantage to spreading the chlorine addition over a longer time, if you are going to be running the pump anyway. With a VS pump, you can experiment to find the most economical speed to accomplish each task. I find the 2800 works well with my infloor system and that 1.5 hrs runs a full cleaning cycle. My SWG needs 1200 rpm to safely trigger the flow switch. So I run one or two cycles of the infloor in the am (1.5-3 hrs at 2800 rpm) depending on the amount of debris and season. Then my pump switches to 1200 rpm with the SWG on for several more hours to slowly add chlorine and provide filtration throughout the day. The 1.5-3 hour run in the am could add all the chlorine for the day, if I just set the SWG higher, but it's cheap to run my VS pump at a low speed, and if I'm going to run it anyway, might as well spread out the chlorine addition through the day.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks guys. Another question in regards to output. When my Easy Touch system was setup by whoever, I have the two settings: Pool (low speed) and Clean (high speed). However, my Easy Touch remote only allows my Intellichlor to go up to 20% in the Clean mode. Could my system have been set up wrong? I don't have an attached spa or anything, so I don't know why my system is setup to where it can only produce a max of 20% while on Clean. Was my stem just setup wrong? If so, anyway to fix?

5. Back To Top    #5

That certainly does not sound correct. I would guess the automation was setup incorrectly, but I know next to nothing about Pentair automation.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm pretty sure you can change the SWG output percentage for each setting in the Easytouch menu. Not sure on details of how to do it.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    I'm pretty sure you can change the SWG output percentage for each setting in the Easytouch menu. Not sure on details of how to do it.
    I can change the output but it's limiting me to 20 on the high speed cleaning setting and then it keeps going back to 0 whenever i adjust anything on the low speed. Definitely something is programmed wrong.

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

That is not correct. The EasyTouch allows for SWG percentage adjustments in 1% increments . The cell is not capable of indicating this if that is what you are judging this off of. What is the remote/ET showing?
    -Brian-
    33K Pool/Spa, Pentair Equipment
    POOL BUILD
    Davis Custom Construction - Home Page

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by bdavis466 View Post
    That is not correct. The EasyTouch allows for SWG percentage adjustments in 1% increments . The cell is not capable of indicating this if that is what you are judging this off of. What is the remote/ET showing?
    I'm going off of the remote. Here, I loaded a video to youtube. You'll see that when I change my "pool" setting (low speed), it changes my "CLEAN" mode (high speed) to 0.... and then when i try to adjust my CLEAN setting, it maxes out at 20.

Pentair easy touch remote - YouTube