Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pls help me set up my pool !

1. Back To Top    #1

Pls help me set up my pool !

Hey guys,

I have my first set of real numbers for my pool, and I want to be sure I am doing this right!

CYA between 20-30 << add 28 ounces stabilizer

FC 7

CC 0.5

PH 8.2 << add 13 ounces muriatic acid

CH 150 << add 261 ounces calcium chloride

TA 40 << add 225 ounces baking soda
    My Pool Build (2015): inground 12K gals gunite/plaster pool, SWG, 2-speed pump, cartridge filter, gas heater, and polaris cleaner (Jandy). TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speed Stir

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Pls help me set up my pool !

Please tell us the targets you are shooting for. I'll post right back with suggestions.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I just used the ones in the calculator -- is that OK? It seems like so much calcium chloride and baking soda!!
    My Pool Build (2015): inground 12K gals gunite/plaster pool, SWG, 2-speed pump, cartridge filter, gas heater, and polaris cleaner (Jandy). TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speed Stir

4. Back To Top    #4

Not exactly, you need to set your desired target levels.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

How do I know what to set them to?

6. Back To Top    #6

Have you discovered Pool School? Start with these:

ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool
    Water Balance for SWGs

Post up what you think you should target and someone will help you out if needed.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

The one parameter that is off for plaster pool with chlorine in the calculator is the TA goal -- should be 80 instead of 100. I retested CH and got 125 this time, and I added 8 pounds of calcium chloride, which should be half of what the pool needs. But I'm not 100% sure on my pool volume, so I'm going to retest it in another hour and see what happens.

8. Back To Top    #8

With a SWG, I would recommend not raising the TA above 60ppm.

It is always a good idea to sneak up on your target levels to avoid overshooting.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

OK, duly noted!!!!

10. Back To Top    #10

So I retested CH and it went up 50, just as predicted by the calculator, which was pretty awesome to this newby!! This made me confident enough to add muriatic acid and baking soda at the recommended levels. I though my PB left stabilizer, but he didn't, so I'll pick some up tomorrow, and trim the levels as needed. I am so glad that this site, and the AWESOME calculator and information, is here!!!!

11. Back To Top    #11

Woo hoo! Go Helen!

Started 5/31/16. 38'x23', 618 sqft., <14,000 gallons, 8' spa.Travertine coping. Raised beam w/3 sheers. Large sunshelf w/3 bubblers. SWG IC40, Pentair VSP, 520 cartridge, color LED lights, Easy-touch, screen logic, Maytronics S300i robot, and Wet Edge Prism Matrix finish (Deep Sea Blue with Indigo plaster). Build Thread: Another in Texas - Cypress Texas | MUD District | HOA Approval | Great Escapes Pools

12. Back To Top    #12

Haha, thanks! Soon it will be your turn to be terrified by chemistry

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Helen203 View Post
    Haha, thanks! Soon it will be your turn to be terrified by chemistry
    Is it crazy that the idea excites me?

Started 5/31/16. 38'x23', 618 sqft., <14,000 gallons, 8' spa.Travertine coping. Raised beam w/3 sheers. Large sunshelf w/3 bubblers. SWG IC40, Pentair VSP, 520 cartridge, color LED lights, Easy-touch, screen logic, Maytronics S300i robot, and Wet Edge Prism Matrix finish (Deep Sea Blue with Indigo plaster). Build Thread: Another in Texas - Cypress Texas | MUD District | HOA Approval | Great Escapes Pools

14. Back To Top    #14

Helen! Look at you! You are getting it!

Make sure to read and reread the links above. It will take a few reads and working with your pool before they become second nature.

Make sure to keep a good log of your pool's levels. It will also be helpful in the beginning to note the weather conditions to help you learn your pool's needs.

HUGS! You are doing great!

Kim (TM nope that just means you fit right in around here! LOL)
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by twinkiesmommy2009 View Post
    Is it crazy that the idea excites me?
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes - haha

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    Helen! Look at you! You are getting it!

Make sure to read and reread the links above. It will take a few reads and working with your pool before they become second nature.

Make sure to keep a good log of your pool's levels. It will also be helpful in the beginning to note the weather conditions to help you learn your pool's needs.

HUGS! You are doing great!

Kim (TM nope that just means you fit right in around here! LOL)
    Thanks for hugs, I am keeping track of everything, and testing. The good thing is that we have a month or two to figure this stuff out before we even consider swimming. TG no little kids clamoring for a swim yet!!!!!

16. Back To Top    #16

Lol. The fickle weather is good for something at least!!

17. Back To Top    #17

Hey, just reporting back that I did the full panel of tests this morning and all I had to add was muriatic acid and bleach. TFP method really works!!!!

18. Back To Top    #18

It is SO neat to test and SEE that your water does what the pool math says it will! Now you will NEVER have to take your water and wallet to the pool store! You have us!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

19. Back To Top    #19

It's pretty much that easy Helen. It will be even easier once you get your SWG fired up and tuned.
    Between now and when you fire up your SWG, you should search TFP on setting up pump run time using SWG so you'll know what you need to do. Now the fun REALLY starts!

For quite some time to come, you can expect your pH to rise due to the plaster curing. It takes months to fully cure, so keep an eye on your pH daily. Dont let it get above 8, or below about 7.6.

Quote Originally Posted by Helen203 View Post
    Hey, just reporting back that I did the full panel of tests this morning and all I had to add was muriatic acid and bleach. TFP method really works!!!!
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

20. Back To Top    #20

Hey guys, quick questions about CH: I retested today, and CH has dropped down to 175 and I need to add another 12# calcium chloride. Is this normal in a new pool??

Here's what I tested today:

PH 8.2 <<added 20 oz. muriatic acid
    FC 1.5, CC 0.5 << added 92 oz. 10% bleach
    CH 175 << haven't added MORE (201 oz.) calcium chloride yet
    TA 70
    CYA 25 << haven't added stabilizer yet (need to pick some up today)

CSI 0.01

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast