can a pool raise up out of the ground

Nov 3, 2014
PORT SAINT LUCIE
I have a salt water pool in south florida about a mile from the intercoastal and started to get algae and my salt was above 5500ppm,I was told to drain my pool or at least 2/3 of it.I found out if I do that my pool would raise up out of the ground,is this true.
So I went and rented a trash pump and got it done.The other pool had a discharge on it and this pool did not,so I thought.
About 20 feet away from the pump there were two 1 1/2 pvc pipes sticking out of the ground and someone said it may be for ground water and the other might be a discharge but I am not touching anything until I ask here on this forum.Here is a few pics.
Thank's
P.S....while i was going threw my pool pictures i think i found out what i needed to no but i am not sure about what pipes to turn on or off so i can use it if i ever have to pump it out again,you will have to enlarge the photo so you can see where they have a pump hooked up.

IMG_20160317_144010044.jpg
20140409_125806.jpg

If you completely drain the pool AND you have an extremely high water table, it certainly can float up out of the ground. In Port Lucie, I don't think you'll have a problem.

As for the pipes sticking out of the ground, it's anybody's guess what those are. Are those caps glued on?

That was something else,first time I seen that and now I'm glad I only drained half the pool,but if I ever have to do it again I would like to no which valves to shut off or turn on,I'm thinkin one of those two pipes in the ground is the discharge,there not glued and they pop right off I would ask the pool builder but he is out of business,gone.Here is a picture of the setup.
Thanks for that video that was good
-----------------------------------------------------------------
IMG_20160314_122402180_HDR-picsay.jpg

They're talking about a hydrostatic valve in the bottom of the pool. If you have one, it will be hidden beneath the cover in the main drain.
thanks for that info i went and seen how it's done on you tube,what i need to no is what valves have to be opened or closed to pump out my pool ,i found out that those pipes that were sticking out of the ground is a discharge line and to backwash the filter but don't no what position the valves should be in.
the pic above is my setup.
thank's

thanks for that info i went and seen how it's done on you tube,what i need to no is what valves have to be opened or closed to pump out my pool ,i found out that those pipes that were sticking out of the ground is a discharge line and to backwash the filter but don't no what position the valves should be in.
the pic above is my setup.
thank's
The intake should be set to Main Drain, which it looks like it is. The cleaner should be off. Not pictured, but probably right on the filter should be a backwash or multiport valve. Some filters - like mine - incorporate the backwash valve in it. See why we ask you to fill out your signature? Then the water will get drawn from the bottom of the pool, through the pump, and out the waste port, completely bypassing the filter. If you have a cartridge filter, you won't have a backwash valve. And if you have a DE filter, you'll probably want to remove the grids while emptying the pool. How about a fuller picture of your equipment pad?

The intake should be set to Main Drain, which it looks like it is. The cleaner should be off. Not pictured, but probably right on the filter should be a backwash or multiport valve. Some filters - like mine - incorporate the backwash valve in it. See why we ask you to fill out your signature? Then the water will get drawn from the bottom of the pool, through the pump, and out the waste port, completely bypassing the filter. If you have a cartridge filter, you won't have a backwash valve. And if you have a DE filter, you'll probably want to remove the grids while emptying the pool. How about a fuller picture of your equipment pad?
--------------------------
i do have a cartridge filter,my last pool had a backwash valve never had this type,sorry it took so long it wasn't taking my pictures.

o1sUfosMygS_13447621.jpg
.thank's

I don't see any valve for draining. It's still possible, but it will either a) create a huge mess or b) involve plumbing fabrication.

You could undo the union at the pump or at the SWG and screw on a new piece with a backwash hose, or thread a nipple into the filter drain port and connect a hose to that.

All of those options seem like a lot of work and expense that could be avoided by renting a submersible pump for a day.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I don't see any valve for draining. It's still possible, but it will either a) create a huge mess or b) involve plumbing fabrication.

You could undo the union at the pump or at the SWG and screw on a new piece with a backwash hose, or thread a nipple into the filter drain port and connect a hose to that.

All of those options seem like a lot of work and expense that could be avoided by renting a submersible pump for a day.
yep thats what i had to do last week but i still think the the two pipes are connected to the system because i popped off both caps where i found them sticking out of the ground and i believe one was a sump pump for ground water and the other was a discharge line,i just got to figure out what valves are which.
thanks for your help

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.